Everyone loves sweets and people certainly are in love with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. People just can't wait to get Google's latest software update on their Android devices. Some phones are lucky to be receiving a taste of this treat, but others need to wait for ROMs to be ported and to be taken out of the developer oven. But, when Jelly Bean's been fiddled with by device manufacturers' hands, we won't be able to enjoy the software the way it was meant to be enjoyed.
Thankfully, official stock AOKP ROMs for Nexus 7 tablets have arrived. We can experience stock Jelly Bean, plus a few really nifty modifications thrown in to improve performance. Pure AOKP includes performance-enhancing features such as ROM control, AOKP toggles, lockscreen options, battery, and navigation customizations.
In this guide, learn how to flash pure AOKP ROM for the Nexus 7.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Asus Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Asus Nexus 7 with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following to your computer:
- AOKP ROM file (aokp_grouper_Aug-24-12.zip, MD5sum: 12334d542875ea45e2f9c91e5afc5537).
- Google Apps package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7).
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM file and the Google Apps package to your Nexus 7′s SD card
- Turn off your Nexus 7.
- Boot into Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until recovery boots.
- Make a NANDroid Backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory Reset. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and select the AOKP ROM file.
- Once the AOKP ROM has been installed, flash the Google Apps package in the same manner as steps 6 and 7.
- Select Go back.
- Select Reboot system now.
Congratulations! Your Nexus 7 is now powered by pure AOKP ROM. How do you find AOKP Jelly Bean in its pure form? Do you like it better than Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and do you see yourself sticking with it for a long time? Let us know by leaving your thoughts in a comment below.