Finally, a Jelly Bean-based AOKP ROM is now available for the Google Nexus 7. When we talk about custom ROMs, AOKP is never left out. It is one of the most-used custom ROMs by Android users all over the Internet. AOKP custom ROMs provide many customizations and reportedly render better performance compared to stock ROMs.
With the release of the affordable Google Nexus 7 tablet, developers have been releasing various custom ROMs for owners to choose from and try installing on their tablets. This time around, you can try installing the Jelly Bean-based AOKP ROM released by XDA Developers member nize2beme. Keep in mind that this ROM is an alpha release, so only limited customizations are available and several bugs and issues may still be present.
In this post, you will learn how to flash the AOKP custom ROM to the Google Nexus 7 tablet.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Google Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Google Nexus 7 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your tablet's USB cable.
- Download the following to your computer:
- Make sure your tablet's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Jelly Bean AOKP ROM and the patch package to your tablet's SD card.
- Switch the tablet off then boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until recovery boots.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM in case of problems. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Go back to the main recovery menu after the backup is done.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- After data wipe is done, select Install ZIP from SD card and select Choose ZIP from SD card. Select the v15.zipfile and confirm the installation on the next screen.
- Once installation is done, install the patch package in the same manner as in step 5.
- When the installation is done, go back to the main recovery menu and select Reboot System Now. This will reboot your tablet to the newly installed AOKP ROM.
Congratulations! Your Google Nexus 7 is now running on a Jelly Bean-based AOKP ROM.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.