The Asus Nexus 7 is the first Android tablet that came with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean out of the box. The tablet introduced the smoothness of Project Butter, the responsiveness of Google Now, and other cool features brought by the latest update.
Aside from stock ROMs, numerous custom ROMs based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean exist for users to flash on their Nexus 7. This doesn't mean, though, that stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean performs poorly on the tablet. In fact, its performance is quite excellent. However, custom ROMs offer more cool features and added theme support.
For the Google Nexus 7, XDA Developers member Stephen.k.spear shares the official AOKP Build 4
ROM. This new build brings new features in the ROM, such as the customized NavBar Ring on tablets, taking screenshots directly from the NavBar, USB mass storage emulation on some devices, shake to disable an alarm, and many more.
This ROM is still a work in progress and may carry some bugs. Some users report that they experience force close errors in the stock browser, which can be solved by using a third-party browser app.
This guide shows you how to flash official AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 for the Nexus 7.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Asus Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Asus Nexus 7 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download the following files:
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP ROM and GApps package to your tablet's SD card.
- Turn off your tablet.
- Connect the tablet to the computer via USB cable. Hold down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power until you see an Android robot lying on its back.
- Using Volume Down, highlight Recovery Mode and select it by pressing Power. After a while, the icon of Android with a red triangle appears. Hold down Power, then press Volume Up to enter Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDroid backup. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the AOKP ROM ZIP file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your tablet.
- In a similar way, flash the GApps package in the same manner as steps 7 and 8.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to reboot your tablet.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 ROM on your Asus Nexus 7.