The Google Nexus 7 runs pure Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Although this tablet is already running the latest Android OS, developers seem to want more than what Google brings out. Devs feel compelled to tweak the stock ROM's performance by creating custom ROMs. One of the custom ROM based on the Android Open Source Project source code for Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is the AffinitySERIES ROM.
XDA Developers member purian23 shares the AffinitySERIES ROM for your Asus Nexus 7. This custom ROM looks like stock Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean but tweaked a bit and with a few features added. This custom ROM will let you enjoy the following:
- Smooth and responsive user interface
- 4-way reboot menu
- 5-way lockscreen targets
- T9 dialer
- Customized statusbar
- Clock modifications
- 6 styles of battery options
- Theme chooser
- and much more
Take note that this custom ROM is still in its testing stage, so it is normal to expect some bugs in this ROM.
In this guide, learn how to flash the AffinitySERIES ROM for the Nexus 7.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Asus Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An Asus Nexus 7 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Check out this toolkit that will easily root, unlock the bootloader, and flash custom recovery to your Nexus 7.
- Download the following files:
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AffinitySERIES ROM and the GApps package ZIPfiles to the root of your tablet's internal SD card.
- Switch off your Nexus 7.
- Reboot your tablet into Recovery Mode. To do that, connect the tablet to a power source via USB cable. Hold down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power until you see an Android robot lying on its back. Using Volume Down, highlight Recovery mode and select it by pressing Power. After a while, an Android icon with a red triangle will appear. Hold down Power, then press Volume Up to enter Recovery Mode
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD card and locate the AffinitySeries ROM ZIP file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your phone.
- In the same manner as in steps 8 and 9, flash the GApps package to your tablet.
- Once done, go back to main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your tablet.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the AffinitySeries ROM to your Asus Nexus 7.