Some tablets, such as the Google Nexus 7, don’t have a rear camera. It only has a front camera that allows you to video chat on the tablet. But, in case you really need to take a picture or record video, you can still use the Nexus 7’s front camera as your main camera.
XDA Developers member hillbeast has created a mod that allows you to record 720p video using the Nexus 7’s front camera. Sounds cool, huh? You can use the mod to improve video quality while chatting or when capturing a video. This mod works on any stock ROM. However, if you’re using a CyanogenMod-based ROM, you don’t need to flash this mod because the developer has pushed the patch to CyanogenMod’s repositories and will already be on your tablet.
This guide shows you how to enable 720p video recording on the Nexus 7.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Asus Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Asus Nexus 7 with root access and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- For help, you can check our guide on how to root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery on the Nexus 7.
- Download the 720p video recording mod (N7-720p_camera_mod-tl-aosp.zip, md5sum: d55c92364a7fe14a25ad633d41d3feb1)
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the mod’s ZIP file to your tablet’s internal SD card.
- Switch off the tablet.
- Boot the tablet into Fastboot Mode. To do that, press the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power buttons until Fastboot Mode boots. Select Recovery to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > select the MOD file > Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You can now take and record 720p videos using your Nexus 7’s front camera.