Attached to the brand carried by the Google Nexus 4 are the great Google-supported features and the bloatware-filled stock OS. Here's a custom ROM called Slim Bean that can trim down this problem for you. It gives you a smoother Jelly Bean experience along with delightful CyanogenMod and AOKP features.
Slim Bean 4.2 is an alpha build featuring a vanilla AOSP-like experience, with lower DPI, and a multi-DPI Play Store app. krarvind, a recognized XDA Developers member, is constantly updating this ROM. Currently, the dev has created bug fixes for the email, Face Unlock, and Google Now features. Also, updates for the HoloLauncherHD and SuperSU were also included. This is an early build, so there might still be issues in this ROM.
This guide shows you how to flash Slim Bean ROM for the Nexus 4 E960.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Google Nexus 4, model number E960. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Google Nexus 4 E960 with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is 50% or more to avoid installation interruption due to power loss.
- Download the following ZIP files:
- Copy the Slim Bean ROM, Google Apps package, and the Jelly Bean Launcher ZIP files into your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, boot into Fastboot Mode by holding down the Volume down and Power buttons at the same time until the word “Start” is displayed on your phone's screen. Scroll down using the volume buttons and select “Recovery Option” to finally boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Note: Use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Home/Power button to select an option if you're not using the touch version of ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Create a NANDroid Backup of your existing ROM. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Wipe your phone's data. Do the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Install the SlimBean ROM. Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP From SD Card.
- Locate and select the Slim_Mako_A2.zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Flash the Google Apps package and the Jelly Bean Launcher in the same manner as in steps 6 and 7.
- Once installed, select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Great! You just installed the Slim Bean ROM on your Google Nexus 4. We would be delighted to hear your comments on how this ROM worked for you. Enjoy!
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.