Not everyone can bring home a Google Nexus 4 and have access to the latest custom ROMs and kernels in store for this wonderful device. One of the latest kernels to check out is the Matr1x 2.0, based on Google’s latest Jelly Bean operating system.
Matr1x 2.0 is a custom kernel developed by XDA recognized developer mathkid95 who is also the dev behind the Matr1x custom kernel for the Google Nexus S. This time, the said dev is ready to mod another Nexus device with this new custom kernel.
The recent build is still being updated by the developer and many have commented on the amazing battery optimization that comes with the package. Its recent version comes with ARM CPU Topology which makes your device more efficient. The GPU has also been overclocked to 450 MHz and all cores have been undervolted to 100 mV.
This guide shows you how to flash Matr1x kernel for the Nexus 4 E960.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Google Nexus 4, model number E960. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Google Nexus 4 E960 with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Check out our guide on how to root and unlock your phone’s bootloader.
- Check out our guide on how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is 50% or more to avoid installation interruption due to power loss.
- Download the Matr1x kernel package (Matr1x-cfs_v2.0.zip, md5sum: 3215182d20472a1246a283726947ebe2).
- Copy the Matr1x kernel package into your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, boot into Fastboot Mode by holding down the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time until you see the word “Start” on your phone’s screen. Scroll down using the volume buttons and select “Recovery Option” to finally boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Note: Use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Home/Power button to select an option if you are not using the touch version of ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Create a NANDroid Backup of your existing ROM. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Wipe your phone’s data. Do the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Install the Matr1x ROM. Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP From SD Card.
- Locate and select the Matr1x-cfs_v1.5.zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Once installed, select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have installed the Matr1x kernel on your Google Nexus 4. Don’t forget to share your thoughts to us about this kernel’s performance.