After the successful launch of the LG Nexus 4 E960, custom ROMs and kernels have quickly been developed for it. Optimizing battery use is one of the main goals of most developers especially for phone powerhouses like the Nexus 4. One of the many kernels geared towards decreasing battery usage is one developed by XDA Developers member _motley, the Motley Kernel.
The Motley Kernel has added performance tweaks designed to help you optimize battery usage. The kernel uses a Google 3.4 base allowing support for all stock features. Aside from that, it comes with compiler optimizations, I/O schedulers, voltage control, governors (OnDemand, Interactive, PowerSave, and Conservative), built in CIFS, NFS, NTFS R/W, and TUN, XZ compression and other patches and tweaks. Excited to try this kernel on your Nexus 4? Follow this step-by-step guide and enjoy!
This guide shows you how to flash Motley Kernel for the Nexus 4 E960.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the LG Nexus 4, model number E960. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An LG Nexus 4 E960 with unlocked bootloader and custom Recovery.
- Download the following:
- Make sure your phone's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Motley Kernel to the phone's SD card.
- Switch off your LG Nexus 4 E960.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until Fastboot Mode boots. Using the Volume keys, select Recovery and tap the power button boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Note: Use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option if you're using a non-touch custom recovery.
- Create a NANDroid backup. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > select motley_anykernel_nexus_4_build_50.zip > Yes.
- NOTE: If you're coming from another custom kernel, custom ROM; and you are facing problems with the kernel, flash the Stock kernel package first before flashing the Motley Kernel.
- Select Go back > Reboot System Now.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the Motley Kernel on your LG Nexus 4 E960. If you encounter issues after flashing the kernel, you can flash the stock kernel package or re-flash your current ROM without wiping. Let us know how this kernel is working for you by leaving a comment below.