Android devices are some of the most popular gadgets around the world. The hottest one at the moment is Google’s latest release, the Google Nexus 4 made by LG. The Nexus 4 E960 is equipped with a great display, quad-core processor, the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, and PhotoSphere. Affordable and sleek, the Nexus 4 is the perfect gift you can give yourself this yuletide season.
The Nexus 4 has already gotten a lot of attention in the XDA Developers community. Developers have been happily creating ROMs and kernels to optimize the phone’s capabilities. Faux123, an XDA Developer member known for his expertise in kernel development, is no stranger to the Nexus 4 and has in fact shared his recently hacked kernel, the Mako Kernel. This kernel is based on Linux 3.4.y and comes with with remarkable features like improved battery life. The ROM is also compatible with all AOSP Android 4.2 builds. Despite some minor issues, the Mako Kernel is definitely worth trying out.
This guide shows you how to flash Mako Kernel for the Nexus 4 E960.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the LG Nexus 4, model number E960. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- LG Nexus 4 E960 with an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery
- Download the Mako Kernel (mako-jb-kernel-001m.zip, 6.5 MB)
- Make sure your device’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the mako-jb-kernel-001m.zip to your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your Nexus 4.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until Fastboot Mode boots. Select Recovery to boot into CWM Recovery mode.
- Note: Use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Wipe your data by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > select mako-jb-kernel-001m.zipfile > Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the Mako Kernel on your LG Nexus 4 E960.