The LG Nexus 4 E960 is looking good for modding. In fact, a lot of the members on the XDA Developers Forum are focusing on creating ROMs for the device. I certainly can't blame them because the Nexus 4 has a lot of great features. Most of the custom ROMs that the devs have created are very useful and easy to install. These ROMs make the fast Nexus 4 even faster and more efficient.
One of these ROMs is the AOKP-MAKO ROM based on Jelly Bean. This deodexed ROM was developed by XDA Developers member jackpham. Features like clock color, CM Launcher, and the Quad lock-screen style are included in this ROM. In addition, SuperUser and Busybox have been pre-installed with a stock AOSP kernel. This ROM, however, may still have bugs but make sure to let the development team know so that they can fix them for future releases.
This guide shows you how to flash AOKP-MAKO ROM for the Nexus 4 E960.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the LG Nexus 4, model number E960. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- LG Nexus 4 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Check out these guides for help:
- Download the following to your computer:
- AOKP-MAKO ROM (aokp_mako_unofficial_Dec-04-12.zip, md5sum: 3263054a10ea7253c45f908cfbfd39f2)
- GApps Package (gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip, md5sum: fda2660e94d9b9079b23e7b67ef012b0)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the aokp_mako_unofficial_Dec-04-12.zip and gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip file to the phone's SD card.
- Switch off your Nexus 4.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons at the same time until the phone turns on. From there, select Recovery.
- Create a NANDroid backup. To do this, select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP form SD Card > aokp_mako_unofficial_Dec-04-12.zipfile. Confirm the action to start the installation on your phone.
- Repeat step 6 to flash gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the Jelly Bean-based AOKP-MAKO ROM to your LG Nexus 4 E960. Enjoy!
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.