Some Android devices have received their latest Jelly Bean fix but Google's flagship phone, the LG Nexus 4 E960, was the first to ever feature Android 4.2 out of the box. With its excellent display and elegant design, the Nexus 4 is perfect for many Android phone enthusiasts who love looking good while using their Android phones. And, what can make a perfect phone even more perfect? Installing the perfect custom ROM.
While there are tons of custom ROMs found in the Android jungle, we may not have the luxury of time to test all of them and choosing one out of the many can be a difficult decision. There's one ROM that experts and newbies should try out. This custom ROM is called the Maddoggin ROM, a self-named ROM by XDA Developers member maddoggin.
The Maddoggin ROM is based on Android 4.2.1 and uses a stock AOSP kernel. The ROM comes with handy features: Extended power menu, CM power widgets, quick settings, and volume wake. This ROM also comes with a T-Mobile theme manager, advanced color changer, and more. Follow this step-by-step guide and enjoy Maddoggin ROM to your heart’s content.
This guide shows you how to flash Maddoggin ROM for the Nexus 4 E960.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the LG Nexus 4, model number E960. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- LG Nexus 4 E960 with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed. For help, check out our guides:
- Download the Maddoggin ROM (Maddoggin_mako_ota_01-09.zip, 254 MB).
- Make sure your phone's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Maddoggin ROM file to the phone's SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot your Nexus 4 into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the phone boots to Fastboot Mode. Navigate to the Recovery option using the Volume keys and select the option using the Power button to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Create a NANDroid Backup. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > Locate andselect the Maddoggin ROM file > Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the Maddoggin ROM on your LG Nexus 4 E960.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.