Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is out. The Nexus 7 tablet is the first Android tablet to run this latest Android OS. Android users are also excited to know which smartphone will receive the updates and which will be left behind, leaving other devices stuck in either Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 2.3 Gingerbread. But, hope is not lost since you can still enjoy the latest updates by flashing a custom ROM that's been ported to your Android device.
The CyanogenMod team has shed hope on the Android device by creating CyanogenMod 10 which is based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Individual developers are also doing their part in distributing the latest OS to other Android devices. XDA member cnote74 has managed to create a custom ROM based on CyanogenMod 10 for your HTC myTouch 4G, bringing Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to your mobile phone.
Although it's still not completely functional, the ROM is a clear sign that the latest Android OS will be able to run on your device. Read on to learn how to upgrade the HTC myTouch 4G to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean via the CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC myTouch 4G. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- HTC myTouch 4G with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM (cm-10-20120718-UNOFFICIAL-glacier-jellytime_a7.5.zip, 250.6 MB):
- Download the Jelly Bean GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip, md5sum: 3f4ea0b162784909d7de658ca9df874b)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the cm-10-20120718-UNOFFICIAL-glacier-jellytime_a7.5.zip and gapps-4.1.1-JellyTime.zip files to your phone's SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume Down button and Power button simultaneously until bootloader boots.
- NOTE: Once in Bootloader Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Highlight Recovery and select it to boot into Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until recovery finishes the backup process.
- Return to the main menu and do a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card. Locate the cm-10-20120718-UNOFFICIAL-glacier-jellytime_a7.5.zip and confirm it to flash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- Once done, flash the gapps-4.1.1-JellyTime.zip in the same manner as in step 7.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your HTC myTouch 4G. You can now enjoy the features from the latest update on your mobile phone. Enjoy!