The advent of Google Android OS has given new incentive and opportunity for manufacturers to produce tablets with exciting features. And now, with Google launching the new Honeycomb OS, which is exclusively designed for tablets, things are looking up for Android lovers world-wide. The Motorola Xoom is looking it has what it takes to be a serious contender in the tablet wars of 2011.
1) Screen – The iPad has a 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology and 1024 x 768 resolution. Motorola Xoom comes with a massive 10.1-inch dispaly with a resolution of 1280×800 pixels and a 160 dpi pixel density.
2) Operating System – iPad runs on a Apple iOS 4.2 with multi tasking. Here, Motorola Xoom beats iPad with Android Honeycomb OS, which is specially designed for tablets with an attractive User Interface. Also it allows installing third party applications.
3) Processor and RAM – Apple iPad has 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed processor with 256MB of RAM. Here also Motorola Xoom overtakes with a Nvidia Tegra 2 dual core processor and an extra large 1GB RAM.
4) Camera – You can’t believe this, Apple iPad doesn’t have camera. But look at Xoom, it boasts dual cameras, 5 MP rear-facing camera with dual LED flash and a 2 MP front-facing camera for video chatting.
5) Memory and SD card – Apple iPad is available in 16Gb, 32Gb, and 64Gb models. But Xoom offers 32 GB in-built memory and a micro SD slot which supports upto 32 GB. So, Xoom will offer a total of 64 GB memory.
6) Applications – Apple iPad users can access to the Apple App Store, where more than 10,000 apps are available for downloads. Motorola Xoom can download apps from Android Market, where the number of apps is less when compared to Apple App Store
7) Flash support – Flash is an essential component while surfing. But the Apple iPad doesn’t support Adobe Flash. Where as, Xoom supports Flash Player 10.1.
8) Battery – Apple iPad battery life of up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music. The Xoom tablet also offers 10 hour video playback.
What do you think? Does the Xoom deserve the wait and your hard earned dollars this year? Motorola has claimed that they believe they will sell 800,000 this year. Only time will tell of course, but for now, it’s looking like they may have a good shot!
Ipad2 will likely be out by the time the Xoom is out, comparing Xoom to the Ipad2 which has been on the market for 9mos is apples to oranges. Personally, I’m waiting to see how the Xoom stacks up to the Ipad2 before making my tablet purchase.
I totally agree with Stoked. So am I waiting until ipad2 is released to decide which tablet to buy….
I am still evaluating if a tablet makes sense. I have several friends who got one this past xmas, and hardly use it anymore. It’s more a marketing hype to convince you that you need one rather than a real need per se like a real laptop.
Even if the ipad2 was addressing all the shortcomings of the ipad, I would NEVER go with Apple stuff. My brother in law works there, and this is like Nazi Germany there, preventing every employee to discuss any of the issues reported by customers, or they get fired. Also, Apple products are closed systems, and come with heavy censorship for the apps. If you like Big Brother watching over you, go for ipad and other icrap stuff. But IF you are more of an independent thinker, and a little more interested in real useful features than the blind Apple followers, then Android is the OS of choice, and Xoom appears as the winning tablet for this year so far!
No IPS = fail.