With Motorola’s previous Sprint offerings being so lackluster with phones like the Motorola i1, I never would have predicted that they would come out swinging like they did. This week brought the launch of the Motorola XPRT which is a portrait QWERTY offering that was announced a month ago, and now Motorola comes out with a press release announcing the new Photon 4G, a new WiMAX enabled handset for Sprint which rivals what the Evo 3D in what it brings to the table. This summer will be a difficult period for anyone wanting a large screened Android superphone. This seems to be the handset that was rumored previously when I did my write up comparing Sprints soon to be launch high end handsets. At that time it was said to be the Atrix with WiMAX built in, but this is much tastier. Lets take a look at what they’re giving us, straight from the Sprint Press Release.
· 3G/4G Handset – The latest arrival to America’s favorite 4G network
· 1GHz dual-core NVIDIA®Tegra™2 Processor for quick downloads and app performance
· 4.3” qHD touchscreen for cinematic viewing with kickstand
· Built with Android 2.3, Gingerbread operating system
· International GSM capabilities
· Enterprise Security
· 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability for up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices (additional fee required)
· Corporate (MS Exchange ActiveSync) and personal (POP & IMAP) email access
· Messaging – personal and business email, Google TalkTM instant message and text messaging
· Sprint ID offering an innovative way to personalize an Android smartphone with apps, widgets, ringtones and more all in a single download
· GPS navigation enabled
· Dual cameras – 8 megapixel HD video capture camera and VGA front-facing camera
· 720P HD Video capture and the ability to output HD video (1080P) via HDMI
· Android Market™ for access to more than 200,000 applications, widgets and games available for download to customize the experience
· HD Multimedia Dock* and Car Dock* for a truly unique handset experience
· 16GB of on board memory, support for up to 32GB SD Card, for a total of up to 48GB
· Ability to utilize the webtop application while connected to a Motorola accessory dock to open, view, edit and send Microsoft Office documents using cloud-based web apps through the full Mozilla Firefox browser
It’s got some other tricks up its sleeve too: You can turn the Photon 4G into a gaming console. With HDMI-out and a Bluetooth controller (like the Wii game controller), you can get your game on with Riptide GP on your HDTV. It’s all about options, and the Photon 4G offers them in spades.
A quick recap of the Photon 4G:
· The first Tegra-powered super phone on Sprint’s 4G network
· 3G and 4G capable, international GSM capabilities
4.3” qHD (960×540) high-resolution screen
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
8 MP auto-focus, rear-facing camera with dual LED flash and front-facing camera for video chat
· HD video capture and playback
· HD video, web browsing and gaming via HDMI out to your HDTV
Any thoughts? Enough to take down the HTC EVO 3D?
Like this post? Share it!