Motorola Droid Ultra official: specs and features, pricing and release date available
Verizon and Motorola on Tuesday have announced three new Droids, just as expected, considering the variety of Droid-related rumors that have hit the web in the previous weeks.
The Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx and Droid Mini are official – you’ll notice that there’s no RAZR branding anywhere in there – and in what follows we’re going to look at the Droid Ultra.
From the start we’re going to tell you that you’ll be pleasantly surprised to see this new lines of Droids, as they seem to pack some of the features expected to be found on the highly anticipated Moto X – think voice commands, active screen and a new camera,
Specs and features
The Droid Ultra is a thin Android handset – described during the event as the thinnest smartphone available – and will feature some of the design elements you’re used to see in such Motorola-made handsets for Verizon. There’s a large edge-to-edge display and a Kevlar back.
Here’s what we know so far about it:
- Size: 137.5 x 71.20 x 7.18mm
- Weight: 137g
- 5-inch 720p HD (1280 x 720) OLED display
- 1.7GHz dual-core processor, 400MHz quad-core GPU, natural language processor, contextual computing processor (eight-core Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System)
- 2GB of RAM
- 16GB of storage
- 10-megapixel Clear Pixel camera with f2.4 lens and 1080p video recording
- 2-megapixel front-facing camera
- 4G LTE (Band 4 and 13)
- quad-band WCDMA and GSM support
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- 3-mic support
- Almost-stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Droid Command Center, Wireless Display support, voice-based Touchless Control features, Active Display, Droid Zap photo sharing features, Ingress pre-loaded
- 2130mAh battery
As you can easily guess, we’re very interested in that new Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System, an eight-core unit that includes a dual-core processor, a quad-core GPU a single-core contextual computing processor and a single-core natural language processor.
Release date and pricing
The Droid Ultra will be available for pre-order starting today (at 1 PM EST) from www.droiddoes.com. The device will cost $199, with a new two-year contract, and will be available in a two colors, black, white and red.
The device will ship on August 20, and everyone purchasing one until September 30 will get a free six-month Google Music All Access subscription.