The Motorola Droid Razr is one of the toughest phones that Motorola has ever created and released into the market. You would think that this phone is tough to tweak, too. Apparently not, especially if you root it and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
Developed by Koushik Dutta, ClockworkMod Recovery is an advanced console replacement for Android phones and tablets. Using ClockworkMod, you can do stuff such as wipe your phone data, apply updates, backup and restore, wipe the Dalvik cache and battery stats, fix permissions, mount and manage mass storage, and apply themes and kernels.
But, the most exciting thing that ClockworkMod can enable you to do is one of Android’s greatest joys: the ability to install custom ROMs to your Motorola Droid Razr.
In this post, you will learn how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Motorola Droid Razr.
Back up all the data on your phone, especially those that are very important. This is necessary because if anything goes wrong, at least you are assured that all your files are safe and sound.
After you have done all the requirements above, you can now proceed to the actual installation of ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone. Follow the instructions carefully in order for the installation process to be successful. We will not be liable if your Motorola Droid Razr gets damaged if you follow this guide, so if you are not confident about doing this at all, either don’t do it or get help from someone knowledgeable about these things.
Here’s how to install ClockworkMod Recovery:
- Download RazrBootstrap.apk from here.
- Download CWMOnBoot from here.
- Copy both files to the /sdcard directory on your phone. (You will need to connect your phone to your computer for this.)
- Enable sideloading of apps on your phone. Go to Settings > Applications and make sure “Unknown sources” is checked.
- Use the file manager app on your phone to locate RazrBootstrap.apk. Install the APK file.
- Run the newly installed app and from inside the app, choose the option to reboot into recovery mode.
- Your phone will power off and reboot into recovery.
- Once the phone has booted into recovery mode, choose “Install zip from sdcard” from the menu, then select “Choose zip from sdcard,” and then locate and select RAZR-CWMOnBoot-Global-J.Y.Daddy.zip.
- The file will now be flashed to your phone. After the process completes, reboot your phone.
- After your phone has rebooted, run the Superuser app. From within the Superuser app, set the RazrBootstrap app’s status to “Denied.” This is a crucial part of the installation process, so make sure you don’t skip this step.
- Reboot your phone one last time.
NOTE: Every time you reboot your phone, you will be taken into recovery mode. To boot into normal mode, just select the reboot option from the recovery menu. If you get stuck in a boot loop, you can break free from it by holding down both the Volume Down and Power keys for about 5 seconds.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery on your Droid Razr.