The Samsung Mesmerize SCH-I500 features a 4.0 inch Super AMOLED touchscreen and a 1 GHz processor. It is a fantastic device for a mid-range smartphone. On paper, the Mesmerize sports decent specifications. However, once you gain root access on your Mesmerize, everything changes, as you can now unleash its full potential.
One of the many benefits that you can get from a rooted device is that you can install custom ROMs, scripts, and kernels that can make your phone snappier and faster than it was before having root privileges.
Rooting will void your warranty. Only proceed with this guide if you already understand the risks involved. We are not held liable if anything should happen to your device. Proceed at your own risk.
Method 1: SuperOneClick
- Samsung Mesmerize SCH-I500
- Windows PC with Samsung USB drivers installed. You can get the drivers here for 32 bit | 64 bit Windows.
- Download SuperOneClick 2.3.3 from here (SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip, 10.14 MB) and save it to your computer. If you’re on Windows XP, you may need to install the latest Microsoft .NET Framework to be able to use SuperOneClick. Download the .NET Framework from the Microsoft Support site.
- Enable USB debugging on your Mesmerize. You can do this by heading to “Settings > Applications > Development”. Make sure that there is a check mark beside that option.
- Extract the contents of SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Connect your Mesmerize to your PC via USB cable.
- On your PC, run the SuperOneClick.exe from the extracted files.
- Select the Root button to being rooting your phone.
- Wait for the rooting process to finish and once it is through, click the Allow Non Market Apps button.
Method 2: Odin3 and ClockworkMod Recovery
- Try this method if the first method doesn’t work for you.
- This method reportedly works for the Samsung Mesmerize SCH-I500 running on stock Android 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 Gingerbread.
- Samsung Mesmerize SCH-I500
- A Windows PC
- Download Odin3 v1.83 from here (Odin3 v1.83.exe, 415.5 kB) to your computer.
- Download USB drivers for the Samsung Mesmerize SCH-I500 from here (Samsung_Mobile_USB_Driver_V1.3.550.0_SCH-i500_Mesmerize.msi, 9.8 MB) to your computer.
- Download ClockworkMod Recovery for Samsung Mesmerize from here (cwm4_fixed_for_cm7-ODIN.tar, 5.6 MB) to your computer.
- Download the root package from here (Flashable_Root_Package.zip, 288.8 kB) to your computer.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone (Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging).
- Disable security and antivirus software on your computer.
- Install the USB drivers for the Samsung Mesmerize on your computer.
- Launch Odin3 on your computer.
- Click the PDA button in Odin3.
- Select cwm4_fixed_for_cm7-ODIN.tar.
- Make sure that the checkbox for “Repartition” is not checked.
- Turn off your phone.
- Remove the battery.
- Connect the USB cable to your phone.
- As you plug the other end of the USB cable into your PC, hold down the Volume Down button on your phone. You should see the download screen within 5 to 10 seconds.
- Return to Odin3 on your computer. The Odin3 window should show the ID:COM box in yellow. This means that Odin3 has detected your phone and that you’ve properly installed the USB drivers.
- Press the Start button in Odin3.
- Wait for Odin3 to display PASS! highlighted in green.
- Reinsert the phone’s battery.
- Unplug the USB cable from the phone.
- If the phone does not reboot automatically, turn it on and let it boot up completely.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- On your computer, rename Flashable_Root_Package.zip to update.zip.
- Copy update.zip to the internal SD card of your phone (i.e., /sdcard).
- Disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn the phone off again.
- Press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power. When you see the Samsung logo, release the Power button. When you’re inside ClockworkMod Recovery, release the Volume buttons.
- From the recovery menu, select Backup and restore > Backup and create a Nandroid backup of your currently existing ROM.
- Return to the recovery’s main menu.
- Select “Install update.zip from sdcard.”
- Using the Volume keys, highlight the update.zip file that you copied to the phone earlier.
- Select the file by pressing the Back key or Power key.
- Your phone will start installing the rooting package and will automatically reboot afterwards.
Congratulations! You successfully rooted your Samsung Mesmerize SCH-I500. Enjoy the many benefits of having a rooted device.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.