Despite the LG Revolution’s promising specs, the device hasn’t received a lot of attention. With Ice Cream Sandwich being the biggest thing right now, many users were disappointed when other devices received ICS and their LG Revolution didn’t. But, prayers have finally been answered. Thanks to XDA-Developers member aichrist, a CyanogenMod 9 port for the LG Revolution is being developed based on the AOSP code for Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
At the moment, the ROM is in a very early stage of development and isn’t suitable for daily use. The developer has only gotten it to boot until the lock screen, but this is a sure sign that the LG Revolution can support the basic components of CyanogenMod 9 and ICS. Also, the mod would be most helpful for testing and feedback. With some feedback, time, and effort, the developer will be able to provide LG Revolution users with their very own working Ice Cream Sandwich ROM.
The developer provided a list of features that do currently work on the LG Revolution:
- Boot animation
- Lock screen
- logcat/adb shell
- 3D acceleration (partially working)
The rest of ICS isn’t in working condition yet, but the developer is definitely working on it. One of the main problems of this ROM is that the HardwareRenderer does not initialize. Immediately after this, the main trebuchet process is terminated and the system reboots itself after a few minutes. The developer has already patched the Android EGL framework code slightly and built a kernel. It won’t be long before progress will yield a more functional build of Ice Cream Sandwich for the LG Revolution.
If you’d like to assist the developer in giving feedback about CM9 or ICS, then you can download this Ice Cream Sandwich ROM now.
Before you begin, you’ll need to do the following to facilitate a smooth update process:
- Enable USB debugging on your device through the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”.
- Close all the antivirus, firewall, and PC suites on your computer as these may interrupt the process.
- Ensure that you have backed up all the data on your phone in case they are lost or corrupted during the update process.
- Back up important phone data and settings.
- It is also necessary that you have a rooted LG Revolution.
- Disable any lag fixes which you may have installed on your device or else they will interrupt the update process.
- Make sure that your LG Revolution has a charge of at least 70% to prevent it from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
With all of that done, you may now proceed to installing the Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on your LG Revolution, as follows:
- Download the Ice Cream Sandwich ROM (CyanogenMod 9) to your computer. Get it here.
- Connect your device to your computer with a USB Cable.
- Copy the ROM file into the root of your phone’s SD card without renaming or modifying the file.
- Disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode.
- Make a backup of your existing system, so that you will have a fallback when the rest of the procedure fails.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, followed by “Wipe Cache”, and then “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Navigate to “Install Zip from SD Card > Choose Zip Card”.
- Select the Ice Cream Sandwich ROM file that you saved to the SD card earlier.
- Once the file is flashed, reboot your device.
Again, this Ice Cream Sandwich ROM should not be used as a daily driver, since it is still in the very early stages of its development and still has several bugs that need to be worked on. You won’t be able to get past the lock screen with this early version of the ROM. However, if you want to see how ICS boots up to the lock screen, or if you want to flash this ROM to help in debugging and testing, feel free to do so. You can also follow the development of this ROM through this thread on XDA Developers.