LG’s quad-core Optimus G to start selling in Canada in November
LG keeps the ball rolling with its next flagship phone, the Optimus G. After the superphone was officially introduced a couple of days ago in the company’s home country, which was then followed by a glitzy NYC-style coming out party to mark its eventual arrival in the U.S. before year’s end, LG has now announced the availability of the device for the Canadian market.
For a change, you need not wait too long for the Optimus G as it will come to Canada in November 2012. Unlike the lack of some grisly details on its expected American launch, LG has also shared the carriers that will be offering the LTE-equipped phone in Canada.
According to the press release, the Optimus G will be available on Bell, Rogers, and Telus. The quad-core phone will also hit retail stores like Tbooth wireless, The Source, Wirelesswave, WIRELESS, and more.
The only piece of information that‘s still missing is the price of the phone. We’re sure that the many superlatives – Android’s most powerful smartphone, etc – that have been placed on the shoulder of the Optimus G will be clearly reflected on its price tag. We’re probably looking at what the Galaxy S3 was selling when it first came out.
How much are you willing to shell out for the Optimus G and its 4.7-inch True HD IPS display, quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU, 32GB onboard storage, 2,100mAh battery, and Ice Cream Sandwich? Yes, it’ll only ship with ICS, though a Jelly Bean upgrade is promised in Q2 2013.
LG Brings Optimus G to Canada
The most powerful, Snapdragon quad-core smartphone available launches this fall
TORONTO, Sept. 19, 2012 /CNW/ – LG Electronics (LG) Canada announced today that it is bringing its newest premium, flagship LTE-enabled smartphone, the LG Optimus G, to Canada in November 2012. The high-end smartphone offers an elegant and sleek design, innovative user experience, longer battery life and powerful performance driven by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon S4 Pro Quad Core processor.
“The cutting edge design and power of the LG Optimus G will set a new bar for smartphones in Canada,” said Geoffrey McMurdo, Vice President Mobile Communications, LG Canada. “This device brings the best design and functionality into one device – a device that, for many, will be more powerful than their home computer.”
The global roll out begins this next week with retail availability in Korea. Canada will follow suit in November with availability across the country through a number of carrier and retail partners including Bell, Rogers, TELUS, Best Buy, Future Shop, Tbooth wireless, The Source, WIRELESSWAVE, and WIRELESS etc.
“We have tremendous carrier and retail support for the LG Optimus G and thank them for their support,” continued McMurdo. “With broad distribution, customers across Canada can harness the power of the Optimus G in their hands. Whether they are running presentations, viewing videos or cross-tasking, the Optimus G makes it easier.”
Be it for business or play, the LG Optimus G offers features and functionality that set it apart from the vast and competitive smartphone category.
Enhanced User Experience
- Cross-tasking – the ability to utilize multiple applications and features simultaneously versus simply running in the background
- Qslide Function – shows two different screens simultaneously on one display allowing users to complete two tasks concurrently, such as sending a text or searching the web while watching a video
- Dual Screen Dual Play – mirrors between the smartphone and a TV; it also has the ability to display different content on each screen wirelessly. For example, a slide presentation can be displayed on the TV while the Optimus G shows the accompanying speaking notes
- Live Zooming – enhances the video watching experience as users can zoom up to five times while the video is being streamed
- QuickMemo 3.0 – allows users to write, draw, or jot a memo with their finger directly on the captured screen for instant sharing as an attachment or URL
- Application Link – launches preset applications (email, calendar, weather, etc.) when the alarm is turned off – making preparation time in the morning go a little faster with all the information on your screen
- Icon Personalizer – allows users to customize icons by editing size and adding images, so the most frequently used apps can be most easily accessible
- Time Catch Shot – captures images just before camera shutter button is depressed on the 8.0 MP camera – ensuring you get the best shot every time
- Cheese Shutter – voice activated camera shutters requires a simple “cheese” to capture an image
- Smart Shutter – senses camera vibration or the movement of the subject and adjusts the shutter speed for the best shot
- Low Light Shot Noise Reduction – employs a light monitoring system and activates when the camera is used in a low-light situation for the least amount of noise
Unparalleled Viewing Experience
- 4.7 include WXGA True HD IPSPLUS Display
- 1.6 times clearer than AMOLED; using less power
- Sharper and crisper images – 320ppi high pixel density, Stripe RGB ISP Panel with 15:9 aspect ratio
- Zerogap Touch – offers thinner, no diffused reflection for clearer images, even outside, and stronger to withstand impact damage
Modern Design and Style
- Eye-catching slim body, timeless beauty
- Patented Crystal Reflection finish for a luxurious look and feel
- Reduced thickness for enhanced hand comfort
- Jet black front display flows into body seamlessly
Next Generation Quad Core
- First commercial and global smartphone with Snapdragon S4 Pro (APQ8064) process with Quad-Core Krait CPU
- Runs at 1.5GHz; features Asynchronous Symmetric Multiprocessing (aSMP) to enable each core to power up and down independently offering maximum performance with better battery life
- LTE supported capabilities
- Newest generation Adreno 320 GPU
- Three times faster than Adreno 224 for enhanced gaming and faster frame rates
Exceptional Battery Life
- High-density, 2,100mAh battery
- More power than similar-sized batteries by running 60 per cent more efficiently
- More capacity and prolonged charging cycles
- Longer lifespan with 800 charge cycles (versus 500 in regular smartphone batteries)
- Chipset: 1.5GHz Krait CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Processor with Quad-Core, Adreno 320 GPU with 4G LTE
- Operating System: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- An upgrade to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is expected in early Q2 of 2013
- Network: 2G / 3G / 4G LTE
- Display: 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPSPLUS (1280×768 pixels) / 15:9 ratio
- Memory: 32GB
- RAM: 2GB DDR
- Cameras: 8.0MP rear / 1.3MP front
- Battery: 2,100 mAh (570Wh/L)/ Talk time: 15 hours/ Standby: 335 hours
- Size: 131.9 x 68.9 x 8.45mm
- Weight: 145g
- Other: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, USB2.0 HS, A-GPS, MHL, DLNA, NFC
About LG Electronics Canada
The LG brand was established in 1995. The company is a global leader in electronics, information and communications products, with more than 117 operations around the world, and annual worldwide revenues of more than US $49 billion. LG Canada is comprised of five business units – Mobile Communications, Home Appliance, Home Entertainment, Business Solutions and Commercial Air Conditioning. The company has offices in Toronto andVancouver. LG Canada is focused on delivering award-winning products known for blending style and technology. These innovative products include cell phones, flat screen TVs, laptop computers and home appliances. For more information please visit www.LG.com.