Spinpod: take panoramic pictures and record motion time-lapse videos like a pro [Kickstarter]
A new Kickstarter project aims to help amateur photographers take better panoramic pictures and record great motion time-lapse videos with the use of a simple and highly portable accessory that fits a variety of smartphones and cameras.
Spinpod is the name of this particular creation that needs to raise $75,000 by July 1 to enter mass-production. As you’ll notice in the video below, the circular device is meant to work with Android handsets, iPhones and cameras, to get the job done.
What the Spinpod does – it should be rather logical considering its name – is to spin the device that’s docked in it. Thus, taking beautiful panoramic photos becomes a lot easier than doing it by holding the smartphone or camera in your hand. The same goes for time-lapse videos, which use the same rotating mechanism to work.
For better results, especially with time-lapse videos you can combine more than one Spinpod to achieve a pan and tilt effect.
In addition to helping you with those complex photo and video mods, the Spinpod doubles as a dock and triples as a sound amplifier.
The Spinpod comes in at least three colors including red, blue and black, fits handsets that are up to 2.5-inch wide, and comes with a special mount that lets you place the phone in a horizontal position (landscape mode).
The controls and setup of the Spinpod seem very intuitive, and with just a few button presses and swipes you’ll be good to go. Interestingly, the built-in battery will get you either 10 hours of panoramic photos, or around 100 hours of time-lapse video. An app to handle the camera-related chores is not needed, and you’ll be able to use the built-in panorama features of your device to take such pictures.
In case you want one of those Spinpods for yourself, then you should go over at Kickstarter and make your contribution. Here’s what backing Zhiping Chen’s and Daniel Aharoni’s project will get you:
- $5 – mentioned as a contributor on the company’s site
- $30 – t-shirt with the Spinpod logo
- $49 – one Spinpod + one mounting adapter + one microUSB cable (not available anymore)
- $59 – one Spinpod + one mounting adapter + one microUSB cable + one landscape mount (not available anymore)
- $59 – one Spinpod + one mounting adapter + one microUSB cable
- $74 – one Spinpod + one mounting adapter + one microUSB cable + one landscape mount
- $130 – two Spinpods + two mounting adapters + two microUSB cables + one L-bracket
- $145 – two Spinpods + two mounting adapters + two microUSB cables + one L-bracket + one landscape mount
- $175 – one 3D printed Spinpod + one 3D printed mounting adapter + one microUSB cables + one landscape mount
Most Spinpods will ship by October, and an additional $15-$25 is required for international shipping. However, if you opt for the 3D printed model, you’ll get it at some point in August, but it only ships to the U.S.
In case the project raises $100,000, backers will get to pick a fourth color for the device.
Anyone buying a Spinpod?