How to Install Ice Cream Sandwich Build 14 on the Samsung Galaxy S
Galaxy S users who are still waiting for the latest version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich are in for a treat as Team Hacksung has come up with yet another interesting update known as Build 14. Taking its roots from previous firmware versions, Team Hacksung’s ICS Build 14 promises to have a lot of hardware and software changes. Previous bugs and fixes are being addressed in the latest build and it is reported to be more stable than past versions.
Featuring a 4.0-inch Super AMOLED display, the Samsung Galaxy S is certainly a device that would surprise anyone. The 1 GHz processor paired with 512 MB of RAM can still handle all the latest updates, even the most-anticipated Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
If you still can’t wait for the official announcement on the release date of ICS officially from Samsung, then Team Hacksung’s ICS Build 14 should still satisfy your cravings. In this tutorial, we are going to show you how you can install Ice Cream Sandwich Build 14 on your Samsung Galaxy S.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device by heading to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”. Make sure that there’s a check mark beside USB Debugging.
- Ensure that your device has at least have 60% of battery left so that your device doesn’t get turned off in the middle of the firmware update process.
- Temporarily disable or turn off security software, as well as other firewall tools, on your computer to ensure that you won’t get interrupted during the installation process.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running Android 2.3.6 firmware version XXJVU. See this guide for upgrading your Galaxy S to Android 2.3.6 XXJVU Vaue Pack firmware.
- Download the following packages and save them to your computer but do not modify or extract the files:
- Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the four downloaded files to your phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC. Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone and enter into recovery mode. You can do this by simultaneously pressing down the Volume Up and Menu keys, then pressing the Power button on the device.
- Once inside recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory rest” and then select “Wipe cache partition”. This is to ensure that your phone will have a completely clean cache for the new ROM to use.
- After the wiping process, select “Install zip from sd card” then select “Choose zip from sd card.” Browse the contents of your SD card and select the ICS Build 14 package to start flashing the update to your phone. The flashing process may take several minutes. Afterwards, repeat this step and flash the Google Apps package, Face Unlock package, and Google Apps Fixer package in turn.
- After flashing all the update files, select “++++ Go Back ++++” and select “Reboot system now” for the changes to take effect.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Team Hacksung’s Ice Cream Sandwich build 14 on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.