How to Install Ice Cream Sandwich on the HTC Desire HD
The HTC Desire HD is finally getting its own taste of Ice Cream Sandwich goodness. Thanks to shaky156, a member of the XDA-Developers forum, this ICS ROM is built on the RCMix ICS ROM for the HTC Sensation. The ROM also includes the amazing HTC Sense 3.5 overlay for Android 4.0.1 ICS.
The ROM is still in its very early development stages, however, and is still rather shaky. But, efforts are being made to tweak some of its known issues to provide us with a more stable ROM in the future.
Here is a list of functions that are currently working in the ROM:
- Light sensor
- Audio (but Beats is not yet functional)
- Phone calls, SMS, MMS
- GPU accelerator (3D)
- Video playback
- Keys and key lights
- Screenshot function (but cannot save yet to the SD Card)
Functions that aren’t working yet:
- SD card
- GPU Acceleration (2D rendering UI)
- Wi-Fi Tethering
- Mobile network/3G
The developer is still working on Android 4.0.3 and kernel 3.0.
There’s still quite a lot of work to be done on this ROM, but it shouldn’t be long until they’re resolved. If your mouth is starting to water from the promise of this beautiful OS for your HTC Desire HD, you can read on. We’ll be going through the steps on installing the ICS ROM for the HTC Desire HD.
Before we begin, there are a few things you’ll need to facilitate a smooth update process:
- A rooted HTC Desire HD with S-Off
- Battery charge of at least 70%, to prevent the phone from shutting down in the middle of the update process
- Complete backup of data on your phone, in case the process wipes out or corrupts your data
Once you have all of the requirements, it’s now time to proceed with installation:
- Download the ICS Sense v1.0 Alpha ROM file to your computer. Get the ROM here.
- Connect your phone to your computer via the USB Cable.
- Copy the zip file into the root of your SD card without altering the file.
- Disconnect your phone and switch it off.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing the Volume Down button while pressing the Power key, then selecting “Recovery” from the menu.
- Make a backup of your current ROM. This makes it possible to restore it from recovery if ICS does not work out for you. You can do this through the path “Backup and Restore > Backup.”
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition.”
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache.”
- Navigate to “Install from SD Card” and select the ICS ROM zip file.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Go Back”.
- Reboot your system now.
Congratulations! When your phone reboots, your HTC Desire HD should now be running on ICS Sense v1.0 Alpha.