Owners of the HTC Inspire 4G will have one more reason to love the device, as an all new Ice Cream Sandwich ROM based on leaked firmware from the HTC One V is now in the making.
Pitted against the newer dual-core or quad-core handsets these days, the HTC Inspire 4G may no longer look as inspiring as when it first came out. But, with Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC Sense 4.0A (Lite) running on it, the device may provoke inspiration once again.
Thanks to XDA Developers member proxuser’s Primo-S custom ROM, the HTC Inspire 4G can now enjoy the up-to-date firmware of the HTC One V, plus the following features:
- odexed system
- support for init.d
- free 25 GB on Dropbox
- support for multiple languages
- up-to-date apps
The developer has noted, however, that the camera, camcorder, Wi-Fi hotspot, and USB tethering are not yet working. Some other unidentified bugs and issues are also expected. Some users have also reported issues with the sound/audio.
If you’re a huge fan of HTC’s Sense UI then the Primo-S 3.0 ROM is definitely worth a try. Read the rest of the guide to learn how you can install it on your HTC Inspire 4G.
- HTC Inspire 4G — rooted, S-OFF, and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal data and files.
- Download the latest Primo-S ROM for the HTC Inspire 4G from here (PrimoS-v3.0.zip, md5sum: 6c9168c3ccda528ebcb440357c2a022c). Save the ZIP file to your PC. Do not unzip the file.
- Download the fix package for the sound issue on the HTC Inspire 4G from here (inspire-fix-primo-v3.zip, 5.1 MB). Do not extract the file.
- Connect your HTC Inspire 4G to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy PrimoS-v3.0.zip and inspire-fix-primo-v3.zip to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Switch off your phone completely.
- Reboot your phone into recovery. You can do this by holding down the Volume Down and Power keys. If you get stuck at the red exclamation mark screen, press both the Volume Up and Power buttons to enter recovery mode.
- In recovery, create a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM by selecting “Backup and Restore” then select “Backup”.
- Return to main menu of recovery mode.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” then select “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm the data wipe.
- Select “Install zip from sdcard”, select “Choose zip from sdcard”, browse for the PrimoS-v3.0.zip, select the file, and confirm the installation by selecting “Yes”. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Repeat the previous step for inspire-fix-primo-v3.zip.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” then select “Reboot system now” to reboot your device.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC Sense 4.0A (Lite) on your HTC Inspire 4G via the Primo-S custom ROM based on firmware from the HTC One V.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.