Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is on everyone's lips and with good reason. The update brings a number of features and enhancements, such as a smoother interface, advanced search functionality, Google Now for automated information, a better Android keyboard, and an improved notification menu.
Unfortunately, this update might not make it to all Android devices, but thanks to the hardworking folks at XDA Developers, almost everyone can get a taste of the update, including Samsung Infuse 4G SGH-I997 users. You can thank developer scott.hart.bti for bringing the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 to your devices.
Almost everything that works in Ice Cream Sandwich works in this ROM, but there are still a few issues that the developers are working out, such as the GPS being laggy or freezing when it is used and Project Butter being uncooperative. Rest assured that the developers are hard at work, so these issues should be fixed in no time.
To learn how to upgrade the Samsung Infuse 4G I997 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10, check out our guide below.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G, model number SGH-I997. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G running on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 ROM for the Infuse 4G (cm-10-20120831-UNOFFICIAL-infuse4g.zip, MD5sum: e789d23cf9477daadaaae0ea0b71669b) to your computer. (Also available from Mirror 1 or Mirror 2)
- Download the GApps 7/26 file (gapps-jb-20120726-signed(1).zip, MD5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7) to your computer. (Also available from a mirror)
- Copy the CyanogenMod 10 and GApps packages to your phone's internal SD Card.
- Turn off your AT&T Infuse 4G.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. Release the Power button when the Samsung logo appears but continue holding the Volume keys until the Recovery screen appears.
- In Recovery, navigate using the Volume keys and select options using the Power button.
- Make a NANDroid Backup by going to Backup and Restore and selecting Backup.
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card and then select Choose ZIP from SD Card.
- Locate the CyanogenMod 10 file and select it.
- Once you've finished installing CyanogenMod 10, select Install ZIP from SD Card and then select Choose ZIP from SD Card.
- This time, locate the GApps package.
- Once GApps has finished installing, select Go Back.
- Go to Advanced, and select Fix Permissions.
- Select Go Back.
- Select Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have just upgraded your Samsung Infuse 4G SGH-I997 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via the CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM.