Stop wishfully thinking that Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean will officially arrive for your Samsung Infuse 4G SGH-I997. It won't.
But, there's another way for your Infuse 4G to run Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean — through a custom ROM dubbed as CodeName Android. It is based off a clean, stock version of Android 4.1.1 build JRO03L, so you can expect pure stock Android experience with some mix-ins on the side.
Developed by XDA Developers member Th3Bill, the CodeName Android ROM has a lot of customization options you can play with to tune up your Infuse 4G. The ROM works quite well and is quite fast, as reported by some users who tried the ROM.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Infuse 4G I997 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CodeName Android ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Infuse 4G, model number SGH-I997. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Infuse 4G with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download CodeName Android 3.6.6 ROM package (CNA_Aries_3.6.6_Signed_Th3Bill.zip, md5sum: 1d8bbb84d265a9c2d55e31a2801dc349)
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the CodeName Android 3.6.6 ROM package to your phone's SD card.
- Switch your phone off.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on and the phone boots into recovery.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option or item in recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/ Factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Advanced and select Wipe Dalvik cache. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and navigate to the CNA_Aries_3.6.6_Signed_Th3Bill.zip file. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM.
- Once installation of the ROM is done, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed CodeName Android ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the CodeName Android ROM to your Samsung Infuse 4G SGH-I997.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.