Custom Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROMs are everywhere and it's no surprise to see the latest Jelly Bean update being ported to many Android devices through custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod and AOKP. The HTC Incredible S is lucky — a new Jelly Bean-based custom ROM for it has arrived.
Known as the Jelly Bean EVOLUTION ROM and developed by XDA Developers member Nikhil007 basing on AOKP Jelly Bean sources, the said custom ROM provides a lightning-fast Android 4.1.1 experience with a host of customization features, such as being able to configure under-the-hood settings by tweaking your phone's user interface while bringing along a host of awesome Jelly Bean features.
This is not the official Jelly Bean ROM endorsed by HTC but rather a custom ROM that is currently under heavy development. Don't be surprised if you find some bugs present in the ROM.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Incredible S to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via Jelly Bean EVOLUTION custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with theHTC Incredible S. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- HTC Incredible S with S-OFF and ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM and GApps package ZIP files to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down and Power buttons until your phone boots into Bootloader Mode. Highlight Recovery option using the Volume buttons then select it using the Power button. If you see a red warning triangle, press Volume Up and Power buttons together to proceed to Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. In case something should not work out with this ROM, you can easily revert to your existing ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, select Backup again. Head back to the main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to Mounts and Storage and select Format /system.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded ROM file and select it. Confirm the installation process by selecting Yes on the next screen to confirm the installation.
- Repeat step 9, but this time around select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google Apps package. After the installation is complete, head back to the main menu.
- Select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Jelly Bean EVOLUTION ROM on your HTC Incredible S.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.