Install Touch-enabled Amon Ra Recovery on Acer Iconia Tab A500
What good is a touchscreen if it doesn’t get used every single chance it gets? A few developers have been aspiring to fully utilize touchscreens and the Acer Iconia Tab A500 is one of the lucky few tablets that gets a touch-enabled custom recovery. You won’t need to fiddle with buttons anymore to navigate your way around the functions. We’re talking about a fully touch-based user interface. Need to make a Nandroid backup or wipe your cache? No problem. Simply tap on the screen to do what you need to.
Thanks to drellisidee, member of the XDA-Developers forum, a touch-enabled Amon Ra recovery was developed from the Amon Ra recovery source. For users who are already running a custom recovery, kjy2010 has released a flashable ZIP file to make it much easier to install the touch based Amon Ra.
Unfortunately, for those of you who are not running any custom recoveries, you’ll need to go through tedious ADB commands. If the thought of that makes you sweat, don’t worry. A much shorter and more convenient option is available. Simply install ClockworkMod Recovery using the Acer Recovery Installer and you’ll be one step closer to being able to use the Amon Ra touch-based recovery.
You’ll need a few things before we begin installing the touch-enabled Amon Ra recovery:
- A rooted Acer Iconia Tab A500.
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed. You can use the Acer Recovery Installer (requires root) from the Android Market to install it.
- Touch-enabled Amon Ra recovery image
Once you have all these, you may now proceed to installing the touch-enabled Amon Ra Recovery:
- Copying the Amon Ra recovery ZIP file into the root of your device’s SD card.
- Turn off your device.
- Reboot your device into Recovery Mode. You can do this by holding down the Power button and the Volume Down key until text in the upper left corner appears. When it does, release the buttons.
- Once in recovery, make a Nandroid backup.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Select “Wipe Cache”.
- Next, select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Navigate to “Install Zip from SD Card” and select the touch-based Amon Ra recovery ZIP file.
- Once the file finishes flashing, reboot your device.
- To verify that you have touch-enabled Amon Ra installed, try rebooting into recovery mode. You should now be able to use the touchscreen to navigate the recovery menu.
Congratulations! You now have the touch-enabled Amon Ra recovery running on your Acer Iconia Tab A500 . Navigating through recovery has never been easier when all it needs is a tap of your finger.