Speed Up Ice Cream Sandwich on Your Acer Iconia Tab A500 with Lightspeed ROM
Users of the Acer Iconia Tab A200 and Iconia Tab A100 have been lucky to have had Ice Cream Sandwich, either by official update or through leaked firmware and custom ROMs. When it was the Acer Iconia Tab A500’s turn, the Ice Cream Sandwich leak was less than sweet. For users who tried the leaked firmware, it caused problems, and for others, it didn’t boot at all.
Naturally, the Android developer community went on a mission to make the leak functional for everyone. smaury, member of XDA Developers, has managed to hammer out a solution.
Not only did the developer make a custom ROM based on the leaked firmware but also made a few really big changes to the ROM. Dubbed the Lightspeed ROM, this ROM’s most noticeable change is the removal of almost all Acer-loaded applications. Bloatware-free, this has allowed the ROM to live up to its name.
The ROM is still in its beta stage, so there are a few bugs that still need working on. This ROM is also compatible only with the Acer Iconia Tab A500 and should not be attempted on other devices. Attempting to flash this ROM with incompatible devices may lead to bricking your device. Always make sure to check that your device is compatible with the ROM.
Before flashing the Lightspeed ROM on your tablet, prepare the following:
- A rooted Acer Iconia Tab A500 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. (Here’s a guide for rooting the Acer Iconia Tab A500.)
- A fully charged battery to prevent the tablet from shutting down in the middle of the update process.
- Flashing this ROM may erase the data on your tablet so make sure to create a backup for it.
- Latest version of the Lightspeed ROM (Lightspeed_4_beta6.zip, 263.7 MB)
Here are the steps for flashing the Lightspeed ROM to your Acer Iconia Tab A500:
- Download the latest version of the Lightspeed ROM to your computer.
- Copy the Lightspeed ROM ZIP file into the root of your tablet’s SD card.
- Turn your tablet off.
- Boot the tablet into Recovery.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This allows you to revert to it if the Lightspeed ROM does not work out. You can do this through “Backup & Restore.”
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Select “Mounts and Storage” and then select “Format System”.
- Next, select “Install ZIP from SD Card.” Select the Lightspeed ROM ZIP file.
- Confirm that you want to begin installation.
- Once the Lightspeed ROM has finished flashing, select “Go Back”.
- Select “Reboot System Now”.
You can now enjoy faster and bloatware-free Ice Cream Sandwich on your Acer Iconia Tab A500, thanks to Lightspeed ROM.