Huawei is officially crazy; the 6.1-inch Ascend Mate has arrived
Remember the good old days when the Galaxy Note was launched? Back when phones were phones, and tablets were tablets? The pundits laughed and predicted another failed experiment, but the Note just kept on trucking. Eventually, Samsung’s success inspired competitors to bring their own supersized phones to the market.
And here we are today, staring in disbelief at the Huawei Ascend Mate, a 6.1-inch colossus that straddles with impunity on the ever-thinning border between tablet and smartphone.
The Ascend Mate is no surprise, being thoroughly leaked and revealed semiofficially by Huawei itself weeks ago. Let’s recap the specs:
Huawei Ascend Mate specs
- Size: 163.5 mm x 85.7 mm x 9.9 mm (6.5 inches x 3.4 inches x 0.4 inches)
- Weight: 198g
- Available in Crystal Black and Pure White
- Display: 6.1-inch HD IPS+ 1280 x 720 LCD with Gorilla glass, 241ppi
- Processor: quad-core Huawei Hisilicon clocked at 1.5GHz
- Memory: 2GB of RAM
- Storage: 8GB
- OS: Android 4.1.2/Emotion UI
- Camera: 8.0-megapixel AF rear-facing camera with HDR, 1.0-megapixel HD front-facing camera
- Battery: 4030mAh
- Band: UMTS 850/900/1700/1900/2100 MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE EDR
Fortunately, the extra-large profile of the Ascend Mate allows for an equally large battery, and Huawei took advantage of the available space to pack one of the largest batteries we’ve ever seen in a smartphone. The Chinese company claims that the Ascend Mate will last you through 22 hours of talk time, 14 hours of web surfing and 10 hours of video playback.
The spacious display of the Ascend Mate feature Magic Touch technology, which is Huawei’s fancy way of saying it works with a gloved hand.
Emotion UI is Huawei skinned version of Android, and it comes with a series of nifty little apps that should boost your productivity when working with the Ascend Mate.
The Huawei Ascend Mate will be available globally starting March and in China starting next month. The price is still unknown but we’ll update you as soon as we find something out.