Install Stock Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on HTC Sensation
Users of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus are currently enjoying the delightful treats offered by the sweetest and latest Google experience in the form of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Phone manufacturers, such as HTC, are in a mad rush to push out their ICS updates with a twist of their respective Android skins, but no one is sure about when exactly the updates will arrive on the HTC handsets.
However, thanks to the Virtuous Quattro ROM, owners of the HTC Sensation can freshen up their handsets with pure Android 4.0.3–minus HTC’s custom user interface.
According to the ROM’s developers on XDA Developers, Virtuous Quattro is still a work-in-progress (currently in Alpha 3 stage), although most of ICS core features are properly functioning. The camera and Bluetooth are still not working. There are also other undiscovered issues and bugs, which can be expected since the ROM is still being developed.
The following works with the ROM:
- Live Wallpapers
- Boots without any problems
- 2G/3G Radios
- Facebook contact sync
- Touchscreen and keys
- SD card
- All Sensors
- Advance power menu
- Android Market
- 3D Accelerator
- 3D games
- Video Playback
According to developers, Virtuous Quattro ROM is compiled directly from AOSP code (which means it is “pure” ICS), has been optimized for the target devices, is pre-rooted, and will install Android 4.0.3 ICS to the device. If you’ve got the supported device and want to taste the pure sweetness of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, read the rest of this guide for installing Virtuous Quattro ROM on your Android phone.
Requirements and Reminders
These are the few things you need before you can flash Virtuous Quattro to your HTC phone:
- A rooted HTC Sensation
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed in your mobile phone
- Create a backup of all your phone data or transfer all files in your SD card in case it gets corrupted while installing the ROM
- Have at least 60% battery power or more to keep your device running throughout the entire process.
- Install the ROM at your own risk. We are not held liable for any damages arising from the use of this guide.
- Download the Virtuous Quattro Alpha 3 ROM here and save it to your computer.
- Copy downloaded file directly into the root of the external SD card in your HTC device.
- Turn your phone off and reboot it into ClockworkMod Recovery, as follows:
- Press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously.
- On the screen that appears, highlight “bootloader” (use the Volume keys) and select it using the Power button.
- On the next screen, highlight “recovery” (use the Volume keys) and select it using the Power button. This will bring your phone into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, create a backup of your existing working ROM. To do that, select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Perform a full wipe of your phone data by doing the following:
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset” then confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” then confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to “Advanced Settings” from the main menu, then select “Wipe Dalvik cach” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- After wiping the cache, select “Install zip from sdcard”.
- Select “Choose ZIP from sdcard” and select the downloaded ROM file. Once you confirm, the ROM will be flashed onto the device.
- Select “Go back” and choose “Reboot system now” to restart your phone into Ice Cream Sandwich.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Sensation via the Virtuous Quattro Alpha 3 ROM.