HTC One successor (M8) launch may be set for February 2014, judge reveals

December 3, 2013
191

HTC One

In a UK Nokia vs HTC case, a judge’s ruling may have inadvertently revealed the launch period of the next HTC One flagship model – so far mentioned in leaks as the HTC M8.

According to the ruling, the phone – which we seriously hope won’t be called the HTC One Two, and instead it’ll be known as the HTC One (2014) – will be launched as soon as February 2014. Here’s what the judge wrote in the filling, part of the patent case between the two companies:

HTC is close to launching the successor flagship model to the HTC One. HTC has not revealed the launch date. Nokia has adduced evidence which suggests that the launch date is in the first quarter of 2014, and possibly as early as February 2014.

BBC News says that the HTC lawyer did not contradict Nokia, “leading him to conclude the information was accurate.” Furthermore, the fact that a new One flagship model may be launching soon, may have been a good reason not to ban the current HTC One model in the region – just the HTC One Mini was banned in the case.

HTC One M8

“I am bound to say I am somewhat sceptical about this evidence given that HTC will shortly be launching a new flagship phone which cannot be assumed to infringe and therefore be caught by the injunction,” the judge said. “Nevertheless, I accept that there is a period between now and February or March 2014 when HTC is vulnerable.”

Considering that in January and February there are two important trade shows, CES 2014 and MWC 2014, respectively, we wouldn’t be surprised to see the M8 unveiled in the near future, especially if it’s indeed hitting stores in February or March.

Comments

Load More