Owners of the HTC myTouch 4G would have never seen this coming. The device can now be upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich via a custom ROM called Pyr-o-Ice ICS version 0.9.0 beta.
Just as in every unofficial ICS ROM being released, expect to see bugs and issues that may surface on your device. Most of the device core features are still intact, so you don’t have to worry. However, there are certain features that still need some constant tweaking. Most everything else works, except a handful of features including Wi-Fi calling, MMS sending, wired headset buttons (when calling), accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and full Facebook sync.
Pyr-o-Ice is still an early prototype AOSP build. While the ROM may not be directly supported by the CyanogenMod team, it still features some key elements of CyanogenMod.
- Rooted HTC myTouch 4G Slide with S-Off and with latest ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Fully charged phone, or at least 70% power, to ensure that your device doesn’t get turned off during the firmware update
- Backup of all your phone data, as there is a small chance that your personal data may get corrupted or lost during the upgrading process
- Download Pyr-o-Ice ICS 0.9.0 beta from here and save it to your computer.
- Download the update file to fix the Wi-Fi signal strength issue. Get the file here and save it to your computer.
- Download the update file to fix the camera focus bug. Get the file here and save it to your computer.
- Download the update file to fix video recording issues and playback stutter. Get the file here and save it to your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable then copy the downloaded files (the ROM file itself and 3 update fix files) onto your phone’s SD card.
- Enable USB debugging on your device by heading to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”.
- Turn off your phone and reboot into recovery mode. You can do this by entering first into bootloader mode by pressing simultaneously the Volume Up key and OK button, then pressing down the Power button.
- Once you entered your device into bootloader mode, select the option “Recovery” to enter recovery mode.
- Do a full wipe of your phone. Select “Wipe data/factory reset,” then “Wipe cache partition,” then “Wipe Dalvik cache.”
- Select “install zip from sd card” then select “choose zip from sd card”. Locate and select the Pyr-o-Ice ICS 0.9.0 beta ROM file. Flash the file to your phone. Repeat this step for each of the 3 update fix files.
- Reboot your phone to apply the ICS upgrade and to complete the installation. It may take a while since it is the first time it has booted in ICS.
- After your phone has rebooted into ICS for the first time, turn it off again and reboot. This is necessary to allow the phone to make Wi-Fi work and to scan media files.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC myTouch 4G Slide via Pyr-o-Ice ICS 0.9.0 beta ROM.