With Ice Cream Sandwich raining from the sky, even the HTC Evo Shift 4G gets its own dose. The wait is over, now that an all-new ROM called Speedy ICS 4.0.3 AOSP – Evervolv Kang Build v1.1 has arrived, satisfying the need for Ice Cream Sandwich by coming up with an AOSP build based on Android 4.0.3 firmware. All thanks go to XDA-Developers forum member jhuymaier for releasing this all-new ICS creation.
It’s important to note that this is not the official firmware released by HTC but is a beta version developed by dedicated third-party developers. There’s still no date for when HTC will be rolling out Ice Cream Sandwich for the HTC Evo Shift 4G.
Here’s a list of the functions that are currently working in this release:
- Voice/Data 3G
- Hardware keyboard backlight
- Hardware Function keys
- Wi-Fi Tether
- Data Usage App
- Google Navigation (partially with mobile cellular location but not real GPS)
- Android Market
Because this is a beta version, there are also a few things that currently aren’t working:
- GPS – previously worked but caused a forced system reboot
If this list of non-functioning features doesn’t bother you and you can’t wait to try this beta release of Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Evo Shift 4G, then there are a few things we’ll need to go through before we begin the update process:
- Make sure that your HTC Evo Shift 4G is rooted.
- Back up all of the data on your phone so you can restore these if the data are lost or corrupted during the updating process.
- Make sure that you’ve enabled USB Debugging on your device. You can do this through the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”.
- Make sure that your device has at least 70% charge, so that it does not shut down in the middle of the update process.
Once you’ve accomplished all the pre-requisites, you may now proceed to updating the HTC Evo Shift 4G with Android 4.0.3.
- Download Speedy ICS 4.0.3 AOSP – Evervolv Kang Build v1.1 from here and save the file to your computer. Do not extract the archive.
- Download the Google Apps package (gApps) from here and save it to your computer without extracting the archive.
- Connect your phone to your computer with the USB Cable.
- Copy both of these files into the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot into Recovery Mode by holding down the Volume Down key while pressing the Power button.
- You’ll enter into Bootloader Mode.
- Select Recovery.
- Create a backup of your phone data while you’re in recovery mode.
- Once in Recovery Mode, select “Clear Storage”. It will delete all the cache data from your phone.
- Next, select “Install ZIP from SD Card”. Select the Speedy ICS 4.0.3 ROM file. The flashing process will take a few minutes, so you’ll have to wait a bit.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Install ZIP from SD Card” again.
- This time, select the Google Apps (gApps) file.
- Once the update has been successfully applied, you’ll return to Recovery Mode.
- Select “++++Go Back++++” to return to the main menu.
- Choose “Reboot System Now.”
- Check whether your phone has properly been updated. Go to “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version”. You should be seeing Firmware version 4.0.3.
Congratulations! Your HTC Evo Shift 4G is now running on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich!