Just weeks after Google released the source code of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), unofficial ports and upgrades for numerous Android devices have started popping up. Some official firmware upgrades have also leaked out. One of such upgrades is for the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003.
In an effort to fast-forward development, a leaked version of the official Ice Cream Sandwich firmware from Samsung for the Galaxy SL I9003 model was circulated around the Net. This is still the beta release of the ICS update, so expect some bugs or hardware malfunctions when using the firmware.
If you want the stable version for your phone, we recommend you stick with official Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread update. For the rest of you who can’t wait for the official release, continue reading for the instructions on how to upgrade your Galaxy SL I9003 to ICS.
- First thing to do is to fully charge up your phone to a minimum of 60% battery life to ensure that your phone doesn’t turn off during the installation process.
- Make a back-up of all your necessary data as it is vital to have a copy of your original files since we are installing the alpha version of ICS 4.0. Most of the current features won’t work right now and you may have trouble in accessing your data.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging.
- Disable all unnecessary computer processes like antivirus software, firewall programs, and PC suites as they may interrupt the firmware installation process.
- Download the latest Ice Cream Sandwich firmware for the Galaxy SL I9003 to your computer. Get it here. Do not extract the ZIP file.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file into your phone’s SD card. Make sure that you don’t place it deep inside many folders, or else your phone may not be able to easily locate the ICS update file.
- After copying the ICS ZIP file, download and install ROM Manager from the Android Market. Get it here.
- Open ROM Manager from your app drawer and select “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.”
- Reboot your phone so that you can proceed and boot into recovery mode. You can enter recovery mode by simultaneously pressing down the Volume Down key + Ok Button while holding down the Power Button as well.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from SD card.” Use the volume keys to navigate around the menu and the Power button to confirm a highlighted selection.
- Select “choose zip from SD Card” and select the file that you have copied into your phone’s SD card. Once selected, the firmware update will begin. It may take up to 5 – 10 minutes for the process to complete, after which your phone will reboot.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed ICS firmware on your Galaxy SL I9003.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.