There’s good news for those of you using Nexus S devices. A MIUI ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich has finally been released. Though Nexus S users may have been sad to hear that the Huawei Honor U8860 would be seeing a demo version of ICS, the fact that this ROM is official may bring some light back into their lives.
MIUI is one of the most popular Android ROMs in the world. It was based on Android 2.3 and is equipped with a unique user interface that not only looks good but also feels great to use. Though the latest ICS-based MIUI has a few bugs, such as trouble with the camera and the movie-making app, this release is functional enough to use.
This update can only be applied if you’ve got a rooted Nexus S. If you haven’t rooted your device yet, you need to get to it before following the instructions in this post. Also, take note that rooting voids your warranty.
If you’re dying to get this ROM running on your Nexus S, you’ll need the following:
- A rooted Nexus S
- ClockworkMod recovery installed on your device. If this hasn’t been installed on your Samsung Nexus S yet, do not proceed with the rest of the instructions. You can install this via the ROM Manager available in the Android Market.
- MIUI ICS ROM for Nexus S
As an extra precaution, back up all the data on your phone–just to be sure, in case all of your data gets lost or corrupted during the update process. Make sure that your device also has a minimum charge of 70% to prevent it from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
Once you’ve gotten all the requirements, you can now begin installing the MIUI ICS 4.0.1 ROM on your Nexus S, as follows:
- Download the MIUI ROM from here.
- Without unzipping it or altering it, copy the ZIP file into the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into recovery mode.
- Make a Nandroid backup.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Next select “Wipe Cache.”
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache.”
- Navigate to “Install ZIP from SDCard.”
- Select “Choose Zip from SD Card” and select the ROM you copied to your SD card.
- The ROM will be flashed and installation should be completed in a few minutes.
- Once the ROM has been installed, simply reboot your device.
Your Nexus S is now running MIUI based on ICS 4.0.1. This ROM may see future development, and hopefully a fully functioning camera, but until then, we hope you enjoy the MIUI Ice Cream Sandwich ROM.