How to Update Your Huawei Honor U8860 with Android 4.0 Demo Version
A few days ago, Huawei shocked everyone when it officially released the Honor (U8860) running on what appeared to be the demo version of the Android 4.0, or better known as the Ice Cream Sandwich. At the moment, details about it are very few considering the report only translated Chinese to English.
Based on reports, the update is just a demo and should not be confused with the final version. Along with the update, there is a PDF containing instructions on how to install ICS update. It also contains information on how to switch back to Gingerbread. This truly marks the Chinese phone as the second device to contain the Google OS. One reason why the demo has been installed on the device is so current Honor users can experience the new features and changes waiting for them with the final ICS OS.
It’s really cool that a company best known for budget products has been the first to publicize the ICS update. We think this is Huawei’s attempt to pave way for their entry to the upper-end market.
How to Update Your Huawei Honor with Android 4.0 Demo OS
Be warned that the OS is just a demo—which means you will need to switch back to your firmware’s original version. The directions for doing both should be followed carefully, so as to stop your phone from bricking up.
- Be sure to backup data stored in your phone memory so you avoid losing everything once data gets lost or corrupted. You can do this through:
- Text Messages – SMS Backup and Restore app
- Call Log – Call Log and Restore
- Phone Contacts – Sync with Gmail app
- Internet & MMS Settings – Backup settings from the path ‘Applications> Settings> Wireless and Network> Mobile Networks> Access Point Names’
- Media Files – Copy to your internal/external SD Card
Once you have backed up your files, make sure that your device still has a minimum of 60% battery. This is so your firmware update does not get disrupted when you run out of battery.
See to it that your Honor is using an original Huawei update version. Updating your firmware with a crack or root version will not be successful.
Only Huawei Honor model number U8860 is available for this firmware update. No other phone is capable.
Once you have met all the pre-requisites, it is time for you update your Honor to the ICS OS
1. On your computer, download the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware package. Connect your device to your computer using its USB cable.
2. Copy the downloaded .zip file to the SD card of your phone. Make sure that the file destination of the .zip package is in your phone’s ‘dload’ directory.
3. Remove the attached USB cable and power cycle your phone to idle mode. Click on Menu> Settings> Storage> Software Update> SD Card Upgrade> OK. This performs your upgrade operation on your Huawei Honor.
4. A screen will display containing the message ‘Upgrade Complete.’ This signifies that the upgrade process has been completed. However, you will have to wait until your phone restarts into a boot animation called ‘Unicom’. Normally, this takes 3 minutes to do.
That’s how you update your Huawei Honor to the latest demo version of the ICS OS. If you’ve done it successfully, let us know how well you enjoyed the experience through the comments section below!
[Source: Android Advices]