Do you own a Toshiba Folio 100 and can’t wait any longer for the Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread update? If you are eager to get Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread running on your Toshiba Folio 100, this article will teach you how to put that Gingerbread version on your device through the CyanogenMod custom ROM.
For beginners, before you can apply this to your phone, you should first have your device rooted so that you will be able to accommodate CyanogenMod in your device, and then you can proceed and follow the instructions below.
Once you have ensured that you have root privileges on your device, you are now ready to update your device. But, before you go ahead, take note of the following important reminders:
- When you do the firmware update, the data stored in your phone will be lost entirely. So, before updating, you need to backup all the important data in your phone. Below are suggestions that can help you do this.
- Text Messages – Use the SMS Backup and Restore app
- Phone Contacts – Sync with Gmail application
- Call Log – Use the Call Logs Backup and Restore app
- Pictures, music, videos, files, etc. – Copy to the internal/external SD card
- Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Be sure to charge your phone so that it would not lose power during the firmware update.
- Make sure that your computer runs Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 and that you can use the desktop with Administrator rights.
- Ensure that the correct and latest drivers for your device are installed on your desktop.
- During firmware update, make sure that all other potentially conflicting software (e.g., firewall programs, antivirus, device management software, and the like) are not running. Such software can hinder the updating process.
Now, let us proceed to the process of applying the CyanogenMod 7.1.0 custom firmware to your Toshiba Folio 100.
- Download CyanogenMod 7.1.0 for the Toshiba Folio 100 into your computer. You can download the file here (file name is update-cm-7.1.0-Folio-KANG-signed.zip).
- Download and install the ROM Manager application onto your device. You can get it here.
- Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
- Copy the CyanogenMod update file to your device’s SD card. Do not rename or modify the file. Do not extract the ZIP file. Just copy it as it is from your computer to your device.
- On your Toshiba Folio 100, go to the list of applications and open the ROM Manager application.
- In ROM Manager, you will find an option that says “Backup Stock ROM.” Select this option to create a backup of your existing firmware. It is safe to keep a backup just in case you want the original version of your firmware back.
- After backing up your existing firmware, select “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery” to flash the latest version of ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Afterwards, select “Install ROM from SD Card.” You will be asked to choose the ROM file. Navigate to the CyanogenMod 7.1.0 ZIP file that you downloaded earlier. Tap on the file (update-cm-7.1.0-Folio-KANG-signed.zip) to select it and start the update process.
- Your device will automatically reboot after the update is completed.
If you face some issues such as close errors after updating, go to recovery mode then select “Wipe data/factory reset.” Also select “Wipe cache partition” and then reboot your device by selecting the “Reboot system now” option.
After the firmware update is already done, you will now have Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread on your Toshiba Folio 100, courtesy of CyanogenMod 7.1.0. Remember to follow the instructions very carefully to have the best results and to avoid any accidental damage to your device. If you are new to this and you are not sure about what you are going to do, ask for assistance from someone who knows or who has experienced performing procedures like this.