Owners of the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 can now update their devices to Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread build XXKPN. The new XXKPN firmware update comes at a time when many users experience numerous bugs in earlier Gingerbread versions. Happy owners of the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 are more than pleased to report that they have a fully working firmware without any more bugs.
If you’re familiar with updating your phone via KIES, then updating to the XXKPN version will never be a problem. The latest Gingerbread update can now be downloaded and flashed through your phone via KIES. But, in the event that your phone does not get detected, you can still apply the firmware manually. The instructions in this article are for manually updating your phone to build XXKPN.
The XXKPN Gingerbread 2.3.5 update comes with tons of performance upgrades along the way, including faster Internet browsing, faster Android Market browsing even at slow Internet speeds, and a revamped user interface that will greatly extend overall battery life.
- Make sure you have an ample supply of battery life left in your device. We advise that you have at least 60% battery left to ensure your phone will not turn off during the firmware update process.
- Make a backup of your phone’s data (e.g., contacts, messages, multimedia, settings, and other important files) as there might be a chance that your phone may be corrupted during the installation process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. This can be done by going to Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging.
Once the necessary requirements have been met you can now proceed with the installation process.
Here are the steps for installing the firmware to your phone:
- Download the latest firmware update files to your computer. Get the ZIP file from here.
- Unzip the contents of the ZIP file. When asked for a password, type “androidauthority.com” (without the quotes).
- The ZIP file contains three files:
SS_DL.dll. In the event that a single file is missing, you need to download again and extract the files before proceeding any further.
- Open the Odin flash tool from the extracted files.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot your phone into download mode. You can enter download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down key + OK button (center button), and simultaneously pressing the Power button.
- Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable. Make sure Odin is still running on your computer.
- Once you connect your phone, the ID: COM block in the Odin program will turn to yellow. This will indicate that the drivers have been successfully installed and your phone is recognized by the software.
- Click the PDA button in Odin. In the popup window, choose
- Check that the other options in Odin are checked/unchecked as in the screenshot below:
- Hit the Start button in Odin to begin the firmware update process.
- Your phone will reboot after the flashing is completed.
- Check whether or not you have successfully updated your phone by heading to Applications > Settings > About Phone. The firmware version ought to show XXKPN 2.3.5 Gingerbread.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up + OK buttons simultaneously and pressing the Power button while holding down those buttons.
- In the recovery mode menu, choose “Wipe data/factory reset.”
- Choose “Wipe Cache partition”.
- Go back to the main menu and then select “Reboot system now”.
Congratulations! You now have Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread build XXKPN on your Samsung Galaxy SL I9003.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.