How To Update LG Optimus 3D P920 to an ICS-themed ROM
For LG Optimus 3D P920 users who want Ice Cream Sandwich on their phone, you’re going to have to wait a few more months for the official firmware from LG. Unfortunately, LG has yet to release a timeframe for the official release. However, through enthusiasts, it’s now possible to easily make your LG Optimus 3D look like it has Ice Cream Sandwich.
Through the King 3D ROM, your LG Optimus 3D can enjoy the look and feel of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The custom ROM includes the following functions, capabilities, and enhancements:
- New framework
- Optimized ram
- Increased speed of microSD
- Increased speed of system
- Added ringtones ICS
- Added bootanimation ICS
- Added Roboto ICS font
- Added live wallaper
- Added 2D-3D Converter
- Added KING-manager
- Removed LG Apps
- ICS keyboar
- Android Market 3.3.12
- GoLauncher 2.66
Because this firmware is still in the beta phase, you may experience some issues with applications, such as Face Unlock and NFC functionality.
This firmware is not related to the official firmware released by LG Electronics. By installing the firmware, it will also be necessary to root your LG Optimus 3D P920, which will void the phone’s warranty.
Before we proceed to applying this update, it’s a must for us to go through the pre-upgrade instructions to facilitate smoother firmware update:
- It is important to enable USB debugging on your device. It can be enabled through the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”.
- Close all antivirus, firewall, and phone manager suites on your computer before proceeding or else these may interrupt the firmware update process.
- Ensure that you have backed up all your data so that it can be restored safely after the update:
- Text Messages – Use the SMS Backup and Restore app
- Phone Contacts – Sync with Gmail application
- Call Log – Use the Call Logs Backup and Restore app
- Pictures, music, videos, files, etc. – Copy to the internal/external SD card
- Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- It is also necessary for your to root your phone so you can accommodate this beta firmware. You can do so by following the instructions in “How to Root the LG Optimus 3D P920.”
- Disable any lag fixes which you may have installed on your device. If your device has been loaded with Voodoo tools, you must disable them or else they will disrupt the firmware update process.
- Last but not the least, the phone needs to have a charge of at least 70% to ensure that the phone will not shut down while the firmware update is in progress.
Step-by-step Guide for Upgrading
With all of that done, we may now proceed to updating your LG Optimus 3D P920 with the Ice Cream Sandwich firmware:
- Download KING_3D_ROM_V2.3.zip to your computer. Get it here (KING_3D_ROM_V2.3.zip, about 335.4 MB). Do not extract the contents of the ZIP file.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB Cable.
- Copy the ZIP file to your phone without renaming or modifying the file. The ideal place to copy this into is the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Download the ROM Manager application into your phone. It can be installed from the Android Market.
- Once the ROM Manager application has been installed, open it and select the “Flash Clock Work Mod Recovery” option.
- Once you are done with that, create a backup of your current ROM by selecting “Backup Current ROM” in the ROM Manager app. This gives you the option to revert to the original stock version in the event that you face issues with the leaked beta version of Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Select the option “Install ROM from SD Card”.
- Choose the zip file “KING_3D_ROM_V2.3.zip”. The firmware update should start.
- The update will finish in 5-8 minutes and the device should restart on its own.
- If your phone doesn’t reboot automatically, select “++++Go Back++++” to return to the main menu and select “Reboot System Now” to restart the phone.
- In the event you are facing issues such as Force Close errors, then you must select the options “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, “Wipe Cache Partition” and then choose “Reboot System Now” to restart the phone and to enjoy your new firmware.
Congratulations! Your LG Optimus 3D now runs the King 3D ROM using an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich theme.