How to update Galaxy S2 GT I9100 with Official XWKL1 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware
Galaxy S2 users will be happy to learn that an official firmware known as the Gingerbread 2.3.6, is already available. This will be the perfect time to finally update your Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to make the most out of your device. Before doing so however, make sure that you have already made a back-up on the data on your phone since there is an existing possibility of data corruption or loss in the process of updating to the new firmware. If you were able ti make a back-up, you can replace all the date in any case any damage occurs.
You can back up images, videos and other types of files by copying them to an external SD card. Notes on the other hand, can be saved in your mail so that you can restore them manually after the update. You even have the choice of making a back up of all call logs, SMS messages, and contacts on your device by syncing them with Gmail application.
Before starting with your phone’s update, make sure that it is completely charged so that it will not die out in the middle of the update process. All firewalls should also be closed, as well as antivirus suites, since they will interrupt the firmware update process. Another important setting that you need to take note of would be your device’s APN settings, which you can manually jot down on a piece of paper so that you can reconfigure your phone after the update process.
How to update
- To update your Galaxy S2 to the latest Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware, download the Gingerbread 2.3.6 Package in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging in your device from the path Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging. After doing so, your phone will automatically turn off in order to switch it to Download Mode.
- Press the Volume down Key and Center button simultaneously, together with the Power Button. This will activate your Galaxy S2’s download mode.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB connection. Once the ID: COM section turns yellow, you can proceed with the update since it means that all drivers are successfully updated.
- Click on ‘PDA’ and select file ‘GT-I9100_INU_I9100XWLK1_I9100ODDKL1)I9100DDKL1.tar.md5’ and click on Start. Your phone will automatically turn off once the process is finished. After system restart, remove your phone’s connection to the computer when you finally see the home screen.
- Close the Odin and turn off the phone to enter into Download Mode again. Once your phone is turned ON in its download mode, open Odin in your PC and connect the phone to the computer via USB connection.
- After successful connection, you will see the ID:COM turning yellow again. Click on PDA and select file ‘Kernel_I9100XWKL1.tar.md5’ and click on Start. This will restart your device. Wait until you see the home screen before disconnecting your device from your computer.