The Acer Iconia Tab A500 is included in the list of the latest Android 3.0 tablets, which are of course cheaper and offer a lot more compared to Apple’s iPad 2. Acer is proud of their tablet’s features including a USB port, support for Dolby Mobile audio, a micro SD Card slot, and custom home screen widgets for an easier way for Android lovers to organize their favorite applications. Although the company aims in building something that could soon replace laptops, the Iconia Tab still lacks in its hardware and software components.
If you already have your hands on an Acer Iconia Tab A500 and you are already itching on updating its firmware, the good news is, you can now apply custom ROM based on the Honeycomb 3.2 version custom firmware. This process however, can only be done after successfully rooting your Iconia Tab. If you still haven’t rooted your device, make sure that you do this carefully since not following the instructions carefully would permanently damage your tab.
What are the enhancements included?
Before proceeding on how you can update your Acer Iconia Tab A500 with Taboonay Honeycomb 3.2 Custom Firmware, below are the enhancements that you will enjoy:
- Update comes pre-installed with Bash, Busybox and Nano apps
- Rooted and Deodexed
- Memory usage is reduced with zipaligned applications
- Some Acer stock apps are removed to improve processor speed and the device’s battery backup
- Update is powered with kernel tweaks for a better and fluidic tab experience
- Improved and faster browser page loading
- NTFS Support
- HFS support with custom kernel
- Dalvik optimized
- DRM service disabled
- Apps are automatically updated
- Optimized Acer wallpaper from the Launcher
- Polaris Office is added
- Samsung Dual Clock Widget
- Pre-loaded ES File Explorer app
- Weather widget from Asus
- 3.0.2 version of Google Music
- WiFi now supports Ad-Hoc connection
- Motorola Boot Animation
- Taboo Tools
What are the requirements?
Before updating your Acer Iconia Tab A500, there are basically three requirements that you need to fulfill first before beginning the installation process:
- A rooted Iconia Tab
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is successfully installed on the device.
- Taboonay V2.0 ROM
How to update my device?
After meeting the three requirements for the update, below are the instructions that you need to follow carefully to successfully install the ROM update.
- Copy the downloaded ROM to your device’s SD Card.
- After copying the ROM file, reboot your device and set it to recovery mode. This can be done by turning your device’s power off and holding the Power button plus the Volume down button until a text in the upper most left corner of the device appears. Once it does, release the Volume down button.
- Make a Nandroid backup once your device is in recovery mode.
- Once the backup is successfully made, factory reset your device, and wipe both cache and the Dalvick cache of your Iconia Tab.
- Flash the ROM file you have copied to your SD card and install it on your device.
- Once the ROM is successfully flashed, the only step left for you to do is reboot your device.