How to Install VillainROM on the Galaxy Nexus
If you’re an owner of a Samsung smartphone and have tried installing custom ROMs on it, you would most likely have heard about VillainROM. It is one of the custom ROMs that ring a bell in many people’s ears, especially when talking of custom ROMs for Samsung handsets. Developers of VillainROM have made a name for themselves, especially with their work on custom ROMs for popular Samsung devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S and the Samsung Galaxy S2.
This time around, the ROM’s developers have set their eyes on a new target: the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the hottest thing from Samsung right now. Just recently, the ROM developers have released version 1.1 of VillainROM. This new ROM is intended for the Galaxy Nexus and is compiled from the open source code of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (branch android-4.0.1_r1.2 (ITL41F) from the Android Open Source Project repository) rather than the stock ROM on the Galaxy Nexus.
According to the developer, release 1.1 of VillainROM includes or features the following:
- Fixed Root Issue (mini root fix or full ROM available)
- Slightly modified AOSP based on android-4.0.1_r1.2 ITL41F (compiled from source, not based on stock ROM)
- Stock ITL41F kernel and NO recovery image (keeps CWM intact)
- Added Google apps & permissions
- Full adb root, and su & busybox binaries + latest Superuser.apk
- Added REBOOT option to power menu
- Added RECOVERY (reboot) option to power menu
- Enabled ‘Dreams’ – Android screensavers, accessible via Settings>Display
- Increased minimum dalvik heap start size to 16mb for performance testing
- Defaults to live wallpaper
- Faster than stock
- Build defaults to English – Great Britain
- png optimized and zip-aligned all APKs
- Included working LED Flashlight application
- New VillainROM bootanimation
The Galaxy Nexus is great with ICS, but VillainROM walks an extra mile with ICS by adding extra and interesting features. If you want to replace the stock ICS on your Galaxy Nexus with VillainROM (which is practically still ICS), you can do so easily by following the instructions in the rest of this guide. But, first, some requirements:
- Your Galaxy Nexus must be rooted.
- Your Galaxy Nexus must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Back up your phone data and settings.
- Follow these instructions at your own risk and don’t hold us liable for any damage to your phone arising from your use of the information in this guide.
Follow the instructions carefully in order to successfully install this custom ROM. If you are not sure about what you are doing, then it is advised for you not to proceed or get someone with some experience in this stuff to help you out.
Here’s how you install VillainROM release 1.1 to your Galaxy Nexus:
- Download VillainROM and save it to your computer. Get the full ROM here.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable and copy the ROM file to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, make a nandroid backup.
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset.”
- Select “Wipe cache.”
- Select “Wipe dalvik cache” in the Advanced menu.
- Go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select “Install zip from sdcard”, then “Choose zip from sdcard.”
- Navigate to where the ROM file is located on your SD card. Select the ROM file in order to start flashing it to your device.
- When flashing is complete, reboot your device.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy Nexus now runs VillainROM release 1.1 based on Ice Cream Sandwich.