XDA-Developers forum member febycv has delivered something that many T-Mobile myTouch 4G users have been waiting for. Based on the Ice Cream Sandwich framework for the Nexus S, the MIUI v4 ROM is an unofficial port and is currently in beta development. The MIUI 4 ROM retains the ICS framework, but also comes with the unique MIUI user-friendly interface and design.
To date, here is a list of what works in the ROM:
- All sensors
- Music player
- SD card
- most apps
- 3D/EGL/HW accelerator
- 2G/3G data
- Phone calls
Since the ROM is still in its beta stage, there are naturally a few things that don’t work yet, such as the headphones, static wallpapers, and camera. The MIUI v4 may not be completely ready for daily usage, but until a more complete and more stable version of the ROM is released, you can satisfy your cravings to have MIUI 4 on your myTouch 4G now.
As always, there are a few steps you’ll need to go through and to have to facilitate a smooth update process:
- A rooted myTouch 4G with S-Off and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Backup of data on your phone in case these may be lost or corrupted during the update process
- A fully charged battery to prevent the phone from shutting off in the middle of the update process
Once you have met all the requirements, it’s time to start installing MIUI v4 to your myTouch 4G.
- Download the MIUI v4 Beta ROM to your computer. Get it from here.
- Connect your phone to your computer via your USB cable.
- Copy the MIUI v4 Beta ROM into the root of your SD card without altering the file.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down key while holding down the Power button.
- Once you are in ClockworkMod Recovery, make a backup of your current ROM. This will allow you to restore it, should something go wrong with the installation process.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition.”
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache.”
- Navigate to “Install from SD Card” and choose the MIUI v4 Beta ROM file.
- Once the file has finished flashing, return to the main menu and reboot your system now.
When your phone has finished rebooting, it will now be running on the beta version of MIUI v4. Congratulations and enjoy.