Folks who have the Kindle Fire can now get a foretaste of Ice Cream Sandwich while the rest of us watch and drool. Thanks, once again, to the great people at XDA Developers who made this happen.
The custom ROM is based on AOSP code for Ice Cream Sandwich. So far, the ROM is still in the pre-alpha stage, so it is not quite perfect yet.
If you install this custom ROM into your Kindle Fire, it is likely that you will experience issues. Here are some of the issues that you may encounter:
- The touch screen might be unresponsive when waking up from sleep mode.
- There are issues in the audio where at times it doesn't work.
- There are issues in rotating from portrait to landscape view.
- The Wi-Fi radio may sometimes disconnect for no reason.
- There are apps that will crash and will force close.
Those are only some of the issues that you may encounter with this custom ROM. Remember that this custom ROM is a pre-alpha version, so don't expect everything to work perfectly. But, if you have the guts to try out this custom ROM, feel free to read on.
Prep the Device
- The device needs to be rooted. You can follow the guide here.
- You need to install the Team Win Recovery Project 2.0 or TWRP2. For the steps, go here.
- Make sure the device is fully charged to avoid issues.
- You need to have a PC running Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Install the Custom ICS ROM
- Download the custom ROM from here and save it to your computer.
- Connect the device to your PC via USB cable, and then copy the downloaded file into the root directory of the device's SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the PC and turn off the Kindle Fire.
- Boot the device again and once you see the yellow triangle icon, press the Power button one more time to boot into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, just to be safe, create a backup of the device by tapping on the Backup button. Once the process is done, go back to the main menu.
- Wipe the Cache and the Dalvik Cache. Just tap on “Wipe” then choose “Cache”, and once that's done, go back and tap “Dalvik Cache.”
- To install the custom ROM, tap on the Install button. This will bring you into a two-column file browser. Tap the file that you have copied into the device. Then tap the big Flash button at the bottom left to start the installation.
- Once the installation is done, you will see three big buttons at the bottom. Choose the Reboot button to reboot the system.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Ice Cream Sandwich on your Kindle Fire.