Google X Phone rumors: Droid Blast feature, ‘X M’ version and Google cancelation

May 10, 2013
8
117
20 20 77
motorola-nexus-plus-6

Motorola Nexus+ concept phone

A new series of Google X Phone rumors have hit the web, bringing even more confusion to the table when considering previous reports.

We’ll start with the wildest X Phone rumor yet, originating from a Chinese “analyst” with 18 years of experience – we couldn’t exactly verify her expertise, hence the quotes – who has been quoted by several blogs saying that Google has given up on the Motorola X Phone, passing the handset back to Motorola as it reportedly lacked innovation.

One argument in favor of Sun Chang Xu’s opinion – the analyst in question – is that she has almost a million followers on China’s Twitter version Weibo. However, upon close inspection of that Weibo account one would notice that it’s more like almost 100,000 followers there – which is still a lot, but that number certainly paints a different picture.

However, the main reason why we’re not inclined to trust this particular rumor is that the analyst isn’t really mentioning anything about where she got her information. Last time we checked, various Google execs including Larry Page and Eric Schmidt seemed psyched about Motorola’s upcoming smartphones, something that’s a lot more telling about Motorola’s future than what an “analyst” from China can tell us.

The second fresh X Phone rumor is a bit more interesting, but equally confusing considering previous reports.

Droid-Blast-Gesture-Screen-Shot

A person with access to the handset told Hot Hardware that the phone’s ROM lists the device as “X,” which probably stands for X Phone.

Apparently the handset offers a 4.8-inch display with 1280 x 720 resolution, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, 2GB of RAM and a processor that “tests slightly slower than the Samsung Galaxy S3 in AnTuTu benchmark, at least in its early stages of development.”

What’s puzzling is that Verizon is said to be the first U.S. carrier to receive the device, not AT&T as previously reported by other publications. AT&T was said to have a short X Phone exclusive in the U.S. after which time other operators would stock the device.

Moreover, the same source says that there will be two X Phone version, the “X” and a smaller “X M” model – an “X” mini?

In addition to certain hardware features, the insider has also shared a screenshot (above) that reveals a new photo and video sharing feature called “Droid Blast.” However, other screenshots or images of the device have not been shown.

We expect to see more X Phone rumors in the future, so take everything with a grain of salt for now, especially unsubstantiated wild stuff that comes from Chinese analysts. While you wait for the X Phone to be made official, you can always check out this interesting Motorola Nexus+ concept (top image).

Comments