Google announces winners of its ‘Player’s Choice Awards’ for best apps and games
The final month of 2013 is nearly half over and that means right now is the time we start seeing tons of articles and blog posts that look back at some of the best phones, accessories, apps and just about anything under the sun. Joining the list-creating craze this year is Google, who today announced the winners of its first annual Player’s Choice Awards.
The Google Player Choice Awards was established to recognize just a few standout games (and apps) that have arrived at the Play Store throughout the year, as voted on by actual Google Play users.
Google created six different categories for its Player Choice Awards: most addictive game, best franchise game, best game based on a movie, best app for enhancing the everyday, best app for booking and buying, and finally the best Google App.
Without further ado, here are this year’s winners:
- Knights & Dragons (Gree) – Most addictive game
- Bejeweled Blitz (Electronic Arts) – Best franchise game
- The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth (Kabam) – Best game based on a movie
- Duolingo: Learn Languages Free(Duolingo) – Best app for enhancing the everyday
- Flixster (Flixster, Inc.) – Best app for booking and buying
- YouTube (Google) – Best Google app
Aside from the official categories, Google also gave awards out for apps and games that received the largest amount of write-in votes (in no particular order):
- SwiftKey Keyboard (SwiftKey)
- Ingress (Google)
- Samurai Siege (Space Ape Games)
- NewsHog: Google News & Weather (SoLoMob, Inc.)
Some of these apps you probably know well; others might be totally new to you. The biggest takeaway is that out of all the many apps found in the Play Store, more than a million voters determined that the apps listed above were the finest this year had to offer.
To learn more about each of the individual apps or to download them for yourself, head here for the official list. Do you agree with all the apps on the list? Any other great Google Play apps that you feel deserve an honorable mention? If so, shout them out in the comments below!