After having been mistakenly leaked a few days ago, the Google Now widget for home or lock screen is now officially available to Android 4.1+ Jelly Bean devices, as Google has just released an update to its Google Search for Android app.
In addition to the widget, there are several new Google Now cards available to make your Search experience even more enjoyable (see images below,) provided you’re willing to share with Google various details about yourself to make the whole Google Now thing possible.
The new cards include support from various new third parties such as Fandango, Rotten Tomatoes or Zillow. In short, here’s what’s new in Google Now:
For Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean):
- Google Now widget for home screen or lock screen
- Movie passes from Fandango
- Movies now includes ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
- Real estate listings from Zillow when in the market for a home
- Music button when a song is playing in voice mode (US only)
- Support for US college sports
We have explained more than once why Google is interested in providing a better Search experience to its mobile users, so it makes sense to see Google Now updated again – and the work on the project will continue in the future. But unfortunately for Android fans, this highly personalized search feature is available on Jelly Bean devices only.