Google Maps updated, gets Uber Integration and more
Google Maps is getting a pretty big update today, adding a significant number of new features, including Uber integration.
If you need transit or walking directions and have the Uber app installed on your device (in select cities), then the Uber option will appear and offer you the estimated trip times for the car service. Outside of Uber integration, you’ll also find improved navigation instructions and new search options. That’s really just scratching the surface on what’s new.
Google Maps on mobile will now show you upcoming lane information when you’re using turn-by-turn and the update includes lane guidance and easier access to alternate routes when you’re already in navigation mode. The update also improves the offline map experience by allowing you to search for a specific area and save that place for offline use, tied to your Google profile.
Here’s the full change-log highlighting what’s all new, for those interested:
- Turn-by-turn navigation now displays distance, arrival time, and quick access to alternate routes
- Save and manage offline maps in a custom list for when you’re traveling or have a slow connection
- Transit results now display total walking time of your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
- Sign in to see your “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
- If you have the Uber app installed, open it right from Google Maps when comparing route options
- Bug fixes
- Lane guidance in navigation mode (US and parts of Canada/Japan)
- Adjust and name offline maps before saving
- Search filters (price rating, open, from circles)
In Google’s usual fashion, this will likely be a staged rollout, so you may have to wait a few days before it will roll out to you. If it is available to you, you’ll find it on Google Play.