Google Glass may not be ready for full commercial release just yet, but today Google is attempting to expand the number of Glass explorers by opening up the program to any U.S. buyer willing to throw down $1500 plus tax for the somewhat controversial headgear.
As Google revealed last week, there will only be a limited number of headsets available for purchase (today only) and they will be given away on a first-come-first serve basis. At the time of this writing Google Glass is still very much in stock.
So what does the $1500 net you? In addition to the Glass hardware, Google is also throwing in a shade or glasses attachment for those interested. There’s also a charger, a pouch for storage, and an included mono earbud.
Should I pick up Google Glass today?
That’s a good question, though the answer really depends. Here’s just a few reasons why you might want to embrace Glass in your life:
- You don’t might paying top-dollar for what is essentially a ‘beta’ product. You like being on the bleeding-edge.
- You like the idea of wearable, nearly-hands-free technology, price is no object.
- You constantly travel or are in other situations where a wearable device makes more sense than a conventional mobile device.
On the other hand, it’s also not too hard to think of reasons you should wait off:
- Google Glass is still an unproven (and controversial) product, and could eventually lose support or become largely obsolete within a couple years.
- Google Glass just doesn’t have enough useful apps — yet. Glass may get there, but these are still early days and Glass is really best at this point for developers or those that love the idea of a being a beta tester.
- Google Glass is really expensive! Once Glass starts going mainstream, it will be produced in larger quantities and the price tag could drop dramatically. It’s hard to say how low the price will go, but we wouldn’t be surprised if the cost drops down as much as 50% — though that’s just speculation on our part.
Bottom-line, Google Glass is a unique product, but it’s not for everyone. If you feel it’s a perfect fit for you, you’ll want to head on over to Google’s website and pick one up today while supplies last!
Anyone planning on purchasing Glass, if so, what’s your main motivator for picking one up? For those that are waiting off, what would it take for you to be interested in buying Google’s wearable?