Released last April, the HTC DROID Incredible 2 came out with Android 2.2 Froyo, which has now become an “older” version because of Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Users of the HTC DROID Incredible 2, however, will be getting an over-the-air (OTA) upgrade to Gingerbread soon. According to sources, the upgrades should start pushing out today, July 11.
Verizon Wireless recently announced the arrival of Android build 2.18.605.4 for the HTC DROID Incredible 2 and should be hitting your devices anytime soon. According to Verizon’s support page for the HTC DROID Incredible 2, the update will upgrade your phone’s Android version from Froyo to Gingerbread and will include several improvements:
- Email and Messaging
- Overall improvements to the performance of Mobile IM.
- Resolved Hotmail sync & connect issues when setting up a one day sync.
- Call Features
- Improvements to device connectivity when roaming on global GSM/UMTS networks.
- Device Features
- Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new \u201cRunning\u201d tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
- Alarm notifications will be turned off while in Emergency Mode.
- Improved stability reduces device resets & lockups.
- NY Times website has been added to the browser bookmarks.
- Addition of the Wireless Charging UI (including Wallpaper and popups when the device is charging wirelessly).
- New Desktop Dock App.
Once the update starts rolling out from Verizon, you will receive a notification for it. The file size is about 116 MB, which should take about 15 to 20 minutes to download, and between 3 and 5 minutes to install.
Several users of the HTC Thunderbolt and the original HTC DROID Incredible customers are disappointed about the fact that the HTC DROID Incredible 2 is getting the Gingerbread update ahead of the two other devices that were released much earlier than the DROID Incredible 2. HTC, however, promised Gingerbread upgrades to such devices but has not yet fulfilled its promise thus far.
The general consensus in the user community seems to be that of wanting new Android devices to also come packed with the latest version of Android. Do you agree?